Lockers and Coil - DodgeForum.com

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lockers and Coil

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 08-01-2018, 02:28 PM
Jaw91097's Avatar
Jaw91097
Jaw91097 is offline
Professional
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 171
Default Lockers and Coil

So I've got stock gears in my 97 4x4 1500 Ram, I've got 35's, and I want to get lockers or at least a locked diff. What is the cheapest options I have without taking it to a shop? Looking to do this at home.

Also, at the last bog I went to in July, I hit the water and the truck shut off. I figured out my ignition coil was getting wet and cutting power. So I cleaned it off and it started, happened again...Does this mean my ignition coil is bad or should I put a shield around it and send it? I've got a plastic milk jug around it with zip ties, its been good since the bog, even through rain, but should that be okay or should I replace it soon?

Thanks!
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-01-2018, 02:30 PM
Jaw91097's Avatar
Jaw91097
Jaw91097 is offline
Professional
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 171
Default

Side note: I also took out most of the water in my Coolant system and put mostly coolant in now, it still creeps up to over heating if I let it sit too long. It will begin to cool down if I'm cruising but not if I'm stopped for long. Any suggestions?
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-01-2018, 02:31 PM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 53,236
Default

Maybe move the coil further back on the engine, to keep it away from all the crap the fan is going to toss around. Shield wouldn't hurt though.

You could do a 'lunchbox locker'. It just replaces the spiders gears in the diff. You can do that in your driveway. Changing the carrier is not something for the inexperienced to do. Gear setup is VERY picky, and doing it wrong gets expensive in big hurry.

Do you know what gear ratio you have currently?
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-01-2018, 02:49 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is online now
Record Breaker
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,783
Default

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Maybe move the coil further back on the engine, to keep it away from all the crap the fan is going to toss around. Shield wouldn't hurt though.

You could do a 'lunchbox locker'. It just replaces the spiders gears in the diff. You can do that in your driveway. Changing the carrier is not something for the inexperienced to do. Gear setup is VERY picky, and doing it wrong gets expensive in big hurry.

Do you know what gear ratio you have currently?
Doesn't that involve a welder?
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-01-2018, 02:58 PM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 53,236
Default

Nope. You aren't welding anything. Remove spiders, install 'locker', down the road you go. It will even unlock when you go around corners......
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Jaw91097's Avatar
Jaw91097
Jaw91097 is offline
Professional
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 171
Default

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Maybe move the coil further back on the engine, to keep it away from all the crap the fan is going to toss around. Shield wouldn't hurt though.

You could do a 'lunchbox locker'. It just replaces the spiders gears in the diff. You can do that in your driveway. Changing the carrier is not something for the inexperienced to do. Gear setup is VERY picky, and doing it wrong gets expensive in big hurry.

Do you know what gear ratio you have currently?
For this what should I look up to find one for me? I'm not exactly sure what gears are in mine now but they should just be stock.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-01-2018, 04:00 PM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 53,236
Default

Stock was anything from 3.21 to 4.10..... 3.55 being the most common. With 35's, that's gonna be hard on the trans. If you bought it that way though, I would be tempted to pull the cover off one of the diffs, and physically check what gears are in there. Summit, Jegs, and various other places will sell the lockers.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-01-2018, 06:16 PM
Jaw91097's Avatar
Jaw91097
Jaw91097 is offline
Professional
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 171
Default

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Stock was anything from 3.21 to 4.10..... 3.55 being the most common. With 35's, that's gonna be hard on the trans. If you bought it that way though, I would be tempted to pull the cover off one of the diffs, and physically check what gears are in there. Summit, Jegs, and various other places will sell the lockers.
With the cover off, what would I be looking for? Will it say the ratio somewhere on the gears in there?
I've rebuilt a diff before, long time ago, for a 2.5l dakota, so I doubt its the same lol.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-01-2018, 08:22 PM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 53,236
Default

If you have done one successfully, then you can do another without too much trouble. Some things may be different, but, probably not very much.

Sometimes the ratio will be etched into the side of the ring gear. Just turn it slowly, and wipe it with a rag. See if there is anything on there. Worst case, count the number of teeth on the ring gear, and the pinion, and divide.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-02-2018, 02:08 AM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is online now
Record Breaker
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,783
Default

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
If you have done one successfully, then you can do another without too much trouble. Some things may be different, but, probably not very much.

Sometimes the ratio will be etched into the side of the ring gear. Just turn it slowly, and wipe it with a rag. See if there is anything on there. Worst case, count the number of teeth on the ring gear, and the pinion, and divide.
+1 on the number on the ring gear move was etched on there 3.55s here with 35s
 
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lockers and Coil


Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: