2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Right Caliper Sticking

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 07:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Maybe. Consider though, that the front brakes operate at pressures north of 1000 PSI..... If there is a leak, fluid is going to be coming OUT.

Real easy to see which is the problem. Jack up the tire in question, pull the tire, step on the brakes to build pressure. Will the rotor turn relatively easily? If no, crack open the bleeder, does it run easier now? If it does, then the line is bad.

I have replaced a LOT more brake lines, then I have calipers......

Old 08-26-2018, 10:09 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaw91097
So I asked a few buddies in automotive school about the issue and they pointed out that my caliper boot is torn and that’s the problem, because my soft line really doesn’t look that bad, but idk. I’ve never done brake lines, and it’s hard to bleed the brakes by myself.
Could a torn caliper boot lead to the piston getting water into it, through mudding, and not being able to compress back down as easily?
ABSOLUTELY that can f it up. I forgot, this a dual piston or single? If dual, see if one goes in easy and the other not.

When you compress the piston, a little trick I use it to release the pent up air by pulling out a little on the seal with a very small flat screw driver. That keeps the seal from potentially getting pinched ( and tearing) between the piston and pad.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:01 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://youtu.be/42vYzPw8rPU

Old 08-27-2018, 12:37 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Old 08-27-2018, 12:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

To get the ball studs to pop out, get TWO hammers. Bigger the better. (I use two three pound single-jacks) Hold one hammer against the side of the part the stud goes thru, SMACK the other side, with the other hammer. Generally, two good hits, and out it pops. You can use lighter hammers, but, they aren't quite as effective. (have to hit it more/harder) You aren't going to break anything, so, feel free to wail on it. (just don't miss.....)

Pad wear could be guides, could be the line, or could be the caliper itself. As the parts aren't hideously expensive, replace them ALL. New calipers, pads, rotors, and soft lines. Flush the brake system with fresh fluid, until it runs clean.

Also clean up any friction points between caliper, and knuckle, and apply a bit of silicone grease to the surfaces. (I use syl-glide, good stuff.)

Old 08-27-2018, 01:00 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
To get the ball studs to pop out, get TWO hammers. Bigger the better. (I use two three pound single-jacks) Hold one hammer against the side of the part the stud goes thru, SMACK the other side, with the other hammer. Generally, two good hits, and out it pops. You can use lighter hammers, but, they aren't quite as effective. (have to hit it more/harder) You aren't going to break anything, so, feel free to wail on it. (just don't miss.....)

Pad wear could be guides, could be the line, or could be the caliper itself. As the parts aren't hideously expensive, replace them ALL. New calipers, pads, rotors, and soft lines. Flush the brake system with fresh fluid, until it runs clean.

Also clean up any friction points between caliper, and knuckle, and apply a bit of silicone grease to the surfaces. (I use syl-glide, good stuff.)
The last time I wailed on the stud with a hammer I couldn’t get a nut back onto it, and I don’t have money for another track bar, or tie rod bar idk. I’ve got a Mallot that I’ve been whacking it with, and I’ll put the mallot on the stud then whack the top of that with the hammer?
how can I get the axle nuts off without the entire assembly spinning as well?

Unfortunatly I’m kinda tapped at the moment, I’ve got enough for one caliper and some brake fluid. I’ll replace that side and see how it goes from there, as I’ve got like maybe 3 weeks before I Move out to North Carolina, so if the caliper doesn’t fix it then I’ll do the soft line before I leave too.

Just got the ball joint press in the mail today, so now I just gotta take all this stuff off and get to the ball joints

Old 08-27-2018, 01:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You don't wail on the stud. Put the hammer against the side of the part the stud goes thru. Hit the other side of the same part with the second hammer. No contact on the stud at all.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:43 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You don't wail on the stud. Put the hammer against the side of the part the stud goes thru. Hit the other side of the same part with the second hammer. No contact on the stud at all.
Im sorry I’m just confused, do you mean something like this?

Old 08-27-2018, 02:52 PM
Ramchu
Professional

He is saying to place one hammer on one side of the piece that the tie rod stud goes thru
and hit the other side.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:30 PM
Ramchu
Professional

video to get the axle nut loose - jump to 3 minutes into the video

Last edited by Ramchu; 08-27-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Front Right Caliper Sticking