2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ground strap information.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 05:18 PM
Recarpenter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground strap information.

Hello from coarsegold ca.
My name is Richard and I need help with my '94 Dodge Ram 2500 that keep blowing the engine control fuse.
I have a 1994 Dodge ram V10 that keeps blowing fuse. The ground strap on the left side of the Cowell is broken. I would like to know where it stretches to.
It has to be somewhere near the brake master cylinder. Any help would be appreciated.
Richard.

Last edited by Recarpenter; 08-22-2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: New member info
Old 08-22-2018, 06:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Welcome to DF!. That ground strap likely goes from the firewall, to the back of the head. (good luck seeing that..... the V-10 is really shoe-horned in there......) Probably not causing your fuse problem though. Which specific fuse is it? (number?)

Moving this to second gen ram for ya.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:37 PM
Recarpenter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground strap information

It's the 30 amp engine control fuse located in the fuse bank in the engine compartment .

Old 08-22-2018, 07:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Download the service manual for your truck from here. Wiring diagrams are in section 8w. LOTS of stuff gets powered off that....... one of them has a short to ground.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:50 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good places for ground connections are from the battery negative to as close as the starter as you can get. The starter uses the most from the battery and a #4 copper wire would work. The heads are another good location to help get a better spark and again run the wires direct to the battery. Steel is a very poor conductor of electricity. Other places that could use a good ground would be the alternator, headlights, and computer housing. When you use screws as tie in points on the firewall, the star type washer can dig in and help use that firewall as a grounding point since there are many points on the dash that use it.

Quick Reply: Ground strap information.