2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Magnum fuel injection on LA block

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 07:09 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, kegger mod is BS. Reduces tq without actually increasing airflow. A full day dyno tuning makes it break even with the only gain is it holds 8-10whp more after peak on the down hill

dyno charts with all the other accompanying work done are also quite plentiful

Old 08-28-2018, 07:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

What really annoys me about these dyno charts is, they don't even start until almost 2500 rpm. Heck, I rarely get the high in normal driving..... I would REALLY like to see one from idle, to redline.

What's the source on that chart?

Old 08-28-2018, 07:28 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What really annoys me about these dyno charts is, they don't even start until almost 2500 rpm. Heck, I rarely get the high in normal driving..... I would REALLY like to see one from idle, to redline.

What's the source on that chart?
hughes. Im not a fan of the source however it serves the example quite well

the thing about dynos is they're done at WOT. The argument of "yeah i rarely get over 3000rpm" is pretty common BUT when are you only at 3000rpm at WOT? These charts don't show part throttle but you can get a basic trend of part throttle operation by following the charts based on where tq is produced, how flat the curve is, how it peaks, etc.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by dapepper9
hughes.

the thing about dynos is they're done at WOT. The argument of "yeah i rarely get over 3000rpm" is pretty common BUT when are you only at 3000rpm at WOT? These charts don't show part throttle but you can get a basic trend of part throttle operation by following the charts based on where tq is produced, how flat the curve is, how it peaks, etc.
How often am I at WOT? Rarely, if ever....... I understand that's how dyno runs are done though, they wanna see max numbers. Still, I would love to see what the chart looks like lower down. Not like they don't have the data.....

Old 08-28-2018, 07:42 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

If you look at the numbers in the regular rpm range that you'd be driving around in (up to 3k to 3.5k maybe), the chart posted isn't showing much improvement than the chart I put in there. And torque is what you want to yank weight around, which is missing from that chart. How much we spending for marginal results? I think if you want much more engine performance, clean up what you've got, sell it, and move into a hemi truck. My 04 4x4 QC SLT would get sideways in the street, complete monster for a loaded 1/2 ton truck, and no mods necessary - all factory configuration. Dashes don't fall apart, they didn't have steering issues, and we're getting into the sweet spot as far as them showing up in the pick-n-pulls. Going to cost more, but its also going to get better fuel economy with the standard 5 speed auto trans.

I guess if you just want to screw around with it and don't care about getting your money back when you sell, have at it. Not trying to be negative, just straight talk about the pros/cons about investments.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
If you look at the numbers in the regular rpm range that you'd be driving around in (up to 3k to 3.5k maybe), the chart posted isn't showing much improvement than the chart I put in there. And torque is what you want to yank weight around, which is missing from that chart. How much we spending for marginal results? I think if you want much more engine performance, clean up what you've got, sell it, and move into a hemi truck. My 04 4x4 QC SLT would get sideways in the street, complete monster for a loaded 1/2 ton truck, and no mods necessary - all factory configuration. Dashes don't fall apart, they didn't have steering issues, and we're getting into the sweet spot as far as them showing up in the pick-n-pulls. Going to cost more, but its also going to get better fuel economy with the standard 5 speed auto trans.

I guess if you just want to screw around with it and don't care about getting your money back when you sell, have at it. Not trying to be negative, just straight talk about the pros/cons about investments.
Makes good sense if you are building your truck as an investment. I have never taken that approach, as I know, it doesn't matter what I start with, I am going to end up with more money invested, than I will ever get out of it. Your typical daily driver just isn't good investment material, no matter how you slice it. Unless, of course, you get an INCREDIBLY good deal..... but, I just don't seem to be that lucky. Most folks like the second gens for the body style. Transplanting a newer motor into an older truck is doable, but, given the complications with all the electronics involved..... that is most certainly NOT a good investment, if you are looking to make money on it..... If, however, you just want a reliable truck to play with, it gets a bit more tempting.

Me? I'm holding out for Chrysler putting a hellcat engine into the Power Wagon.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:07 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

By investment, I meant what you are spending your $ on to achieve a result. Not some "nestegg investment". What I mean is the hemi truck is a better deal for your $ if you want much better performance. OP could probably just clean and repair his truck and upgrade with the cash he will likely spend on mods... hemi truck will probably still out gun the 2nd gen when he's done. Just sayin', think about what you want - find the best way to get there. If what you want is to get greasy, the 2nd gen works.

Me? I'm happy with the old 3/4 ton 2nd gen. It has a pile of torque, rides like a monster, looks like a monster, gets a gold star for inspection, and with the 4.10s with 20s it has no trouble traversing the steep hillsides of western pa. I wish the dash wasn't fragile like an egg shell, and this steering problem is going to get fixed - somehow., I'm determined.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

By investment, I meant what you are spending your $ on to achieve a result. Not some "nestegg investment". What I mean is the hemi truck is a better deal for your $ if you want much better performance. OP could probably just clean and repair his truck and upgrade with the cash he will likely spend on mods... hemi truck will probably still out gun the 2nd gen when he's done. Just sayin', think about what you want - find the best way to get there. If what you want is to get greasy, the 2nd gen works.

Me? I'm happy with the old 3/4 ton 2nd gen. It has a pile of torque, rides like a monster, looks like a monster, gets a gold star for inspection, and with the 4.10s with 20s it has no trouble traversing the steep hillsides of western pa. I wish the dash wasn't fragile like an egg shell, and this steering problem is going to get fixed - somehow., I'm determined.
Yeah, it's absolutely amazing what the modern engines are putting down for power numbers..... I remember when 100 hp per liter was the target. Now, we have cars from the factory doing 150 hp/liter, with a warranty. I would love to hemi-swap my 2nd gen, but, that's a BIG pile of cash, and LOT of work, that I just don't wanna do any more. I'll be happy with my 8.0, with its 310hp/450tq, and smile every time I step down on the gas. (and frown every time I look down at the gas gauge..... ) I think my 96 2500 actually rode better...... Not quite as stiff.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:08 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Yeah, it's absolutely amazing what the modern engines are putting down for power numbers..... I remember when 100 hp per liter was the target. Now, we have cars from the factory doing 150 hp/liter, with a warranty. I would love to hemi-swap my 2nd gen, but, that's a BIG pile of cash, and LOT of work, that I just don't wanna do any more. I'll be happy with my 8.0, with its 310hp/450tq, and smile every time I step down on the gas. (and frown every time I look down at the gas gauge..... ) I think my 96 2500 actually rode better...... Not quite as stiff.
They make kits for the Hemi swap. I'm in the process of building a 650-700hp Hemi and swap it in my 01 2500 8800lbs. Steering problem is very much fixable but takes $$$. Also the dash in both my second gens cracked. Now my 96 has the factory dash. It's all about putting the oil back in them like leather. The 2nd gens were used as a truck. It was beat and then beat some more. The 3rd gens were used as cars detailed probably every week . Fj5gtx if you are ever near me stop by!

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 08-28-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:38 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes good sense if you are building your truck as an investment. I have never taken that approach, as I know, it doesn't matter what I start with, I am going to end up with more money invested, than I will ever get out of it. Your typical daily driver just isn't good investment material, no matter how you slice it. Unless, of course, you get an INCREDIBLY good deal..... but, I just don't seem to be that lucky. Most folks like the second gens for the body style. Transplanting a newer motor into an older truck is doable, but, given the complications with all the electronics involved..... that is most certainly NOT a good investment, if you are looking to make money on it..... If, however, you just want a reliable truck to play with, it gets a bit more tempting.

Me? I'm holding out for Chrysler putting a hellcat engine into the Power Wagon.
The only time I'd invest in building an engine for a truck is to do a swap to a built 4BT. That's it... a good 16v 4bt will produce the same Torque as the 5.2L with better fuel economy... aside from that... I don't see much reason. The cost of heads, a cam, a tune, and exhaust work to me doesn't justify a small HP gain on these motors. :/

Quick Reply: Magnum fuel injection on LA block