2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V10 Motor Mount Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 06:46 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default V10 Motor Mount Replacement

Can I lift the V10 engine up high enough to replace those mounts with a bottle jack? It looks like the top of the intake manifold will hit the firewall top before there is enough room to get them out.. The bottom of the cooling fan has been hitting the bottom of the radiator shroud. I am concerned that the exhaust manifolds might have to be removed to get them out.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Crawl under, and see what you think. I haven't looked at my mounts yet..... but, could you lift it enough to get the bolts out, and then snake it outta there??

Old 08-26-2018, 07:58 PM
Torxhead
Veteran

Well, I removed the four passenger side bolts, Then noticed that the top of the intake manifold was getting close to the top of the firewall. The mounts seem to both be resting in a pocket, and they have to be lifted out from there. So now I am doing a bit more research. The drivers side might be able to lift up a bit higher though. So maybe next weekend I will try that. Replacing the rear mount did stop some of where the fan hits the shroud though. The front of the block does have some nice pads on each side that I used the bottle jack on also, btw.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:01 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The manual says to hoist it from the top (not by the manifold) just enough to take the weight off the mounts, then remove the engine mount thru-bolts and the restriction pads. Then remove the mount to engine block bolts. There may be a heat shied on some models that has to come off at the same time. Install is the reverse.

I don't see why it couldn't be lifted from underneath as long as you had some sort of block between the jack and wherever you lift at.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:03 PM
racefan41
Captain

The pads might be stubborn to get out. Maybe something to tap and pry on them with.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:15 PM
Torxhead
Veteran

There is a heat shield on both sides, but the problem is the huge motor mount has to come out between the exhaust manifold and the frame, it will not come out from the bottom as the mount is nesting in a pocket. Lifting up the engine up higher might be a possibility. Like I said the V10 block has some nice pads up front that support a bottle jack quite well.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:20 PM
racefan41
Captain

Did you take the mount apart in pieces or are the pads still connected to the bracket? I haven't had mine out so I don't even know if its possible to take the whole unit off in one piece or not. It would surprise me if there was more to it than what the manual says though.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:25 PM
Torxhead
Veteran

I got the mounts from N.A.P.A.:https://www.napaonline.com/en/search...=nol-veh-conds. The round housings are 4" in diameter.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:38 PM
racefan41
Captain

I went and looked at mine and they have room to drop down out of the bottom. The passenger side has a metal box(don't know why) that the mount would have to do a little flip over and then down.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:18 PM
Torxhead
Veteran

I will consider that Racefan41, thanks.

Quick Reply: V10 Motor Mount Replacement