2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lost my front wheel..

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 07:03 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Ummm.... Lower ball joint plugs into the lower part of the knuckle, then a nut comes down from the top of the lower part of the knuckle. If the suspension drops to the ground, how does that part get ground? Can you take a wider picture?

Old 08-28-2018, 07:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Ummm.... Lower ball joint plugs into the lower part of the knuckle, then a nut comes down from the top of the lower part of the knuckle. If the suspension drops to the ground, how does that part get ground? Can you take a wider picture?
Now there is an interesting point......

Old 08-28-2018, 07:28 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
From my understand the lower ball joint broke

Old 08-30-2018, 12:35 PM
jlake4130
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if the lower BJ broke, the pic the OP posted doesnt fit with the diagrams posted. The nut would be on top or inside of the knuckle.Assuming the bj broke and the knuckle ground down on the road, it would be the BJ side of the knuckle damaged not the nut side.
Interested to see where this goes...

Old 08-30-2018, 12:43 PM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlake4130
Even if the lower BJ broke, the pic the OP posted doesnt fit with the diagrams posted. The nut would be on top or inside of the knuckle.Assuming the bj broke and the knuckle ground down on the road, it would be the BJ side of the knuckle damaged not the nut side.
Interested to see where this goes...
The diagram that I posted was not necessarily specific to the OP's truck.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Looking at the service manual, the control arm is indeed above that ear on the knuckle, and the bj stud goes down thru the hole.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:05 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Looking at the service manual, the control arm is indeed above that ear on the knuckle, and the bj stud goes down thru the hole.
mystery solved !

Old 08-31-2018, 04:24 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Y'all had me almost thinking i was driving my truck wrong since i've bought it 😂.. It's first my control arm and then my knuckle. My Balljoint it's stud is facing down. The knuckle itself it's hole is conic, as the balljoint.

So tomorrow i'll be grinding of 2mm on the rightside to even up, i'll losen my balljoint to & take it with the knuckle on the table to make sure i got a perfect flat surface.
Then a washer between the knuckle & nut , so my pin locks the nut proper.

Let's hope no more breaking parts 😂 atleast not anymore going 75mph...

Old 08-31-2018, 04:40 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Btw, my rims ( thick aluminum) i've bought the car with 4years ago , have conic holes to, aswell as conic lugnuts. I've had my left front tire flat. So had to put on my spare wheel! But that onen is a steel rim, not so thick as the aluminum ones, and no conic holes at all, more light rounded.

I believe those conic nuts , pressed the round surface of my steel rim also conical more, that way some play came in my wheel... My lugnuts where pressed of the hub, making the wheel seperate , my balljoints bolt/nut was the first part to hit the ground, it cracked off, and grind even with the knuckle & my brake rotor..

Old 08-31-2018, 04:42 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Quick Reply: lost my front wheel..