2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lost my front wheel..

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lost my front wheel..

Hey guys,
2 weeks i've lost my left front wheel.
Had to replace a few parts, wheel hub, nuts, brake rotor, lowerballjoint ( bolt cracked off ).

As i've lost my wheel, my steering knuckle grinded on the ground, and cracked off my lower balljoint. Now the knuckle got grinded slanted, now the new balljoint nut only hits the knuckle on 1 side .. would this be safe for driving?

As far i know the nut in the balljoint doesn't get to much stress

Maybe i could grind washers down on one side and place 1 or 2 in between?

Old 08-28-2018, 01:40 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

I'd get a good used knuckle to replace it.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:42 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Problem is i live in Belgium... Used parts are hard to find :/
And i believe they don't make new ones...

Old 08-28-2018, 03:36 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Laurens Moja
Problem is i live in Belgium... Used parts are hard to find :/
And i believe they don't make new ones...
See this is a tuffy. You could run it like that an have no problems or you could have major problems. The gamble is up to you. I would personally try to run it (on a back road with no traffic) for an hour and then see is anything changed. If something did go wrong I'd replace it. Could always try eBay or find someone in the states to send you one.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:56 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
See this is a tuffy. You could run it like that an have no problems or you could have major problems. The gamble is up to you. I would personally try to run it (on a back road with no traffic) for an hour and then see is anything changed. If something did go wrong I'd replace it. Could always try eBay or find someone in the states to send you one.
Today i've driven it for a good hour in total, so far, all good. Nut hasn't moved or anything.
Tomorrow i'll look to get me some thick washers , see if i can grind one with a slanted side, difference of 2-3mm and see if i can close the gap properly, my main concern is in tuning, thinks this stresses the nut on the lower balljoint most.

So far i've found none of the correct steering knuckle, all newer makes. The dealers here tell me the part is discontinued.. I've been looking on rockauto for this part, but can't seem to list it somewhere???? Anyone having an idea what other names this part might have, instead of steering knuckle.. or anyone knows if it's available on rockauto?

With some luck i know a garage that has an donortruck. But as far i know it was an older one, and even believe 4wd.. so the U-joint kind of knuckles i believe.. doubt that's the same kind of knuckle.. ?

For now i'll drive it, but not for long distances.. worst case i think of making something of cast iron or some other strong material that could fill up the spot. Or maybe grind the rightside a little down to even it out..

Old 08-28-2018, 04:03 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Laurens Moja
Today i've driven it for a good hour in total, so far, all good. Nut hasn't moved or anything.
Tomorrow i'll look to get me some thick washers , see if i can grind one with a slanted side, difference of 2-3mm and see if i can close the gap properly, my main concern is in tuning, thinks this stresses the nut on the lower balljoint most.

So far i've found none of the correct steering knuckle, all newer makes. The dealers here tell me the part is discontinued.. I've been looking on rockauto for this part, but can't seem to list it somewhere???? Anyone having an idea what other names this part might have, instead of steering knuckle.. or anyone knows if it's available on rockauto?

With some luck i know a garage that has an donortruck. But as far i know it was an older one, and even believe 4wd.. so the U-joint kind of knuckles i believe.. doubt that's the same kind of knuckle.. ?

For now i'll drive it, but not for long distances.. worst case i think of making something of cast iron or some other strong material that could fill up the spot. Or maybe grind the rightside a little down to even it out..
What year is your truck? That part is no longer made so you won't find it at the dealer or rockauto.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:14 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

I'm pretty sure it's 2001 , could be 2000 though .
It's a 1500 chasis, rwd , 5.2l..

Old 08-28-2018, 04:56 PM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your truck being a RWD , which of these parts is it that you need ?

Steering Knuckle

Lower Control Arm

Old 08-28-2018, 05:04 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Originally Posted by Ramchu
Your truck being a RWD , which of these parts is it that you need ?

Steering Knuckle

Lower Control Arm

A left steering knuckle is what i need, first picture mate!

Doubt it will lose strength if i'd grind 2mm of the bottom, that way i'd be able making an flat surface for the nut to set on..
Ofcourse new one is the best option..

Old 08-28-2018, 06:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Since getting parts is going to be problematic.... grind the surface flat, and use a washer or two to space the nut down far enough that the cotter key will actually engage the castle nut. Should be ok.

The *best* solution, is, of course, to replace the knuckle. If you can find one locally, all well and good, if not, there are companies that will ship overseas...... just need to find one that has a good used knuckle, that will do so.

Quick Reply: lost my front wheel..