2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

:( truck bogging after tranny swap, now what ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 12:55 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by POSram2001

well I’ll I just realized the lady at the Napa store handed me the wrong sensor. She handed me the for a manual transmission.

I got the napa mileage plus one at that. So go to the stealership and get a mopar one ?

The mechanic guy I called who put it in said it probably won’t fix it and it shouldn’t matter if it’s for a manual transmission so I don’t trust him anymore. He’s telling me I need a new transmission.
Here is a test you can do. The 8 pin connector on the trans unplug it and take it for a drive. Mind you will have no O/D or TCC and will have to manually shift it. You will have a CEL because you disconnected the electronics part. If it shifts fine and you don't have that bogging the transmission is fine and you have an electronics problem. Are you sure the bogging isn't in the motor?

Old 09-05-2018, 01:44 PM
POSram2001
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Here is a test you can do. The 8 pin connector on the trans unplug it and take it for a drive. Mind you will have no O/D or TCC and will have to manually shift it. You will have a CEL because you disconnected the electronics part. If it shifts fine and you don't have that bogging the transmission is fine and you have an electronics problem. Are you sure the bogging isn't in the motor?
no I know it’s the motor I’m just saying the guy is trying to take advantage of me or just an idiot because he referred me to his buddy who is a tranny guy.

I actually just went to park it in front of my house and it’s running rough af. High idle and spitting and backfiring. It’s loud.

But that guys trying to tell me it’s not the engine.

She ran a lot rougher just going 15mph down the street because my buddy’s house is right around the corner.

if the tranny wouldn’t shift I wouldnt have power loss at 15 mph and it would rev and spin out.

Im not a complete idiot.

i wouldn’t be shocked if this guy woulda just stole my tranny if I hadn’t came by as many times as I had too and made sure it was on the jack hooked to the transfer case. I mean my old one had a stripped threads and you couldn’t get a good deal on it because I tried fixing the solenoid first. It’d be too obvious to steal from me.

thats what happens when you don’t have anyone that you know who will help. For a first vechile a older ram wasn’t an ideal candidate and it’s leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Manual and automatic crank sensors ARE different, and NOT interchangeable. (different lengths) You need to get the correct sensor, preferably a mopar unit. Not necessarily from the dealer... Folks also sell them online, just depends on how fast you need it.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:48 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by POSram2001

no I know it’s the motor I’m just saying the guy is trying to take advantage of me or just an idiot because he referred me to his buddy who is a tranny guy.

I actually just went to park it in front of my house and it’s running rough af. High idle and spitting and backfiring. It’s loud.

But that guys trying to tell me it’s not the engine.

She ran a lot rougher just going 15mph down the street because my buddy’s house is right around the corner.

if the tranny wouldn’t shift I wouldnt have power loss at 15 mph and it would rev and spin out.

Im not a complete idiot.

i wouldn’t be shocked if this guy woulda just stole my tranny if I hadn’t came by as many times as I had too and made sure it was on the jack hooked to the transfer case. I mean my old one had a stripped threads and you couldn’t get a good deal on it because I tried fixing the solenoid first. It’d be too obvious to steal from me.

thats what happens when you don’t have anyone that you know who will help. For a first vechile a older ram wasn’t an ideal candidate and it’s leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
These honestly aren't bad trucks. The problem is mechanics today rely pto much in computers to tell them what's wrong and these trucks don't have nearly as many sensors as new trucks.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:49 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Where are you located?

Old 09-05-2018, 04:26 PM
POSram2001
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Manual and automatic crank sensors ARE different, and NOT interchangeable. (different lengths) You need to get the correct sensor, preferably a mopar unit. Not necessarily from the dealer... Folks also sell them online, just depends on how fast you need it.

i already got a mopar one ;( too late. My truck better run Like a top for a 104$ Sensor . lost my recite from Napa but I’d only get store credit anyway.

I saw saw the difference and knew something wasn’t right. It was hard to see because of the corrosion but there’s a small electrical ground on the face of the pin that bolts down on the auto and the manual doesn’t have one. I don’t think some people realize how electronic a lot of auto tranny’s are.

Quick Reply: :( truck bogging after tranny swap, now what ?