2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 magnum rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 10:43 PM
Dferguson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 magnum rebuild questions

Ok guys I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 2wd 46rh transmission that had a 5.2 magnum. Now I got an engine for free ( one of those go get it out of my yard kind of things), but it's a 5.9. Which I didn't know till after I bought a 5.2 rebuild kit. So the engine was partially seized would rotate about a 1/4 turn pulled it apart to find rust build up (No wonder it was free). So questions are
1) best way to remove built up rust thinking about naval jelly and the honing doesn't look like lots of putting just build up
2) I've heard of the 5.2 cam being bigger than the 5.9 is the difference worth swapping during the rebuild
3) is the kegger mod worth the time on these engines
4) the ecm should work and the tc I got on the 5.9 looks the exact same as my old 5.2 tc so it should work correct
5) any other ideas why I'm there would be nice as far as getting close the the same full mileage already running long tube headers dual 3 inch exhaust and a super 10 dumped in front of the axle with cold air intake so plenty of breathing for these motors
6) plan on buying just a stock engine tech rebuild kit best bang for the buck after I return the 5.2 kit I bought in haste

Old 08-22-2017, 11:57 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

First off, you should have a 46re transmission in your 2001 ram 1500 truck, not a 46rh. Also, please post a photo or two of the rust build up in the cylinder, so folks can see what you're talking about. If you are going to install the 5.9 motor once rebuilt, you will need a flexplate from a 5.9 engine, as the 5.9 is externally balanced. Before you buy a rebuild kit, be sure to know what size cylinder bore you are going to end up with. If the rust is bad, the cylinders will need to be bored and will require an oversize piston. You need to check the cylinder bore sizes anyway, since the 5.9 motor's history is unknown.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:10 PM
Dferguson

All the rust is on cylinder 1 and I've already ran a hone thru it and broke down the most of the rust. I wasn't sure of using any chemicals on the cylinders not knowing what it will do. And it is a 46rh because the front pump seals are different and the 46 re seal was too small. And I won't need a flex plate because the ring gear on these engines is welded to the torque converter and neither of the torque converters have any weights welded to them. Plus I got the torque converter with the engine so not too much a concern. Also the wear and tear on the engine was minimal still has cross hatch marks from factory and no evidence of any kind of oil leaks block was very clean compared to my old 5.2.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:08 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

First off, you should have a 46re transmission in your 2001 ram 1500 truck, not a 46rh.
I second that! Look at the plug on the side, If you have more than 3 wires it's a RE!

Old 08-23-2017, 07:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

The 01's NEVER came with the RH trans. So, unless someone went to a fair bit of effort to change it, including reprogramming the PCM...... It's an RE. The RH wouldn't have governor pressure sensor or solenoid. Which you can get the BW HD unit, and pressure sensor, for around 100 bucks on ebay.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:26 PM
Dferguson

Either way trannys not the problem it may be the 46re but the seals didn t match up and the 46rh seal is the one I had to buy.The rust isn't bad right now I'm using a rust dissolver to get rid of the worst spots then I'll hone it out. What about the cam from the 5.2 has anyone tried this and has it made any improvement.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Where did you get the seal from?

PB Blaster eats rust quite handily, and is also a lubricant, of sorts. But, looking at your pics, I would suggest you measure the bores...... I think there is a VERY good chance you are going to need an over-bore there, and it would solve a fair few of your problems. (eliminate some work for ya too.... )

Old 08-23-2017, 07:36 PM
Dferguson

I got it at Oreillys since I get a discount for being the store manager. I'm sure it will need to be bore and I'll measure it after I try this stuff I'm using now I tried it on the old 5.2 block that I shelled and it worked very well.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wonder if it was just mis-boxed? Have had that happen before. (even with dealership parts.....)

Old 08-23-2017, 08:46 PM
Dferguson

That's what I thought too but I checked several boxes of both so I don't know I always thought it was the re too. There perty much the same tranny except for the 46re being electrically controlled same case. Any how the naval jelly isn't doing much so I'm gonna call the machine shop. If I do 20 over will it affect my compression with everything else being stock. The 360 is already a low compression engine.