2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electrical, Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 05:24 PM
Cartalk2
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical, Lights

Guy stopped by to tell me my lights were on, great thanks -- however when I went out to truck (1996 2500 3/4 4WD Cummins) I had no tail lights. Found the 15A fuse blown, # 18, and replaced fuse -- turned on lights and fuse blew again.

I pulled the light switch and went direct to the wire for the tail light , license plate light and rear parking lights, and fuse blew. Thus seems not a switch issue.

Next, disconnected the tail lights, license plate lights and hitch lights -- all disconnects at plugs completely removing these items from the circuit. Circuit still blows fuse. Now, in process of disconnecting front lights will see if this helps.

Any suggestions??

Old 09-27-2018, 08:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Have a trailer harness on that? If so, check where the trailer harness meets the rear harness.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:41 PM
Cartalk2
Professional

HeyYou, thanks for the info as it got me thinking. First off I did disconnect the rear bumper trailer plug, however forgot I have a forward bed plug for a slide in camper. This forward plug looks like a professional installation so not sure if was factory or not. -- thus I am reluctant to cut into the wire run at this time.

I did go to the trailer relay in the power distribution center and pulled the relay and all my lights worked OK. Great!! Put the switch back in and turned on the light and the fuse popped.

Although I did disconnect the lights/trailer plug in the rear of truck now appears it is in the forward portion or the switch wiring as this is what I moved putting switch back in.

HELP Needed on this question -- where can I find a listing of the connectors and splices as to LOCATION in the truck. The manual give a list, but only component feed, but nothing on physical location.

Thanks

Old 09-29-2018, 02:49 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartalk2
HeyYou, thanks for the info as it got me thinking. First off I did disconnect the rear bumper trailer plug, however forgot I have a forward bed plug for a slide in camper. This forward plug looks like a professional installation so not sure if was factory or not. -- thus I am reluctant to cut into the wire run at this time.

I did go to the trailer relay in the power distribution center and pulled the relay and all my lights worked OK. Great!! Put the switch back in and turned on the light and the fuse popped.

Although I did disconnect the lights/trailer plug in the rear of truck now appears it is in the forward portion or the switch wiring as this is what I moved putting switch back in.

HELP Needed on this question -- where can I find a listing of the connectors and splices as to LOCATION in the truck. The manual give a list, but only component feed, but nothing on physical location.

Thanks
The FSM (you can download it here) and in 8W shows you where they are at

Old 09-30-2018, 04:50 PM
Cartalk2
Professional

MoparFanatic21 Thanks for reply. I have the hard copy of manual and just missed that section, it was there as you indicated. Thanks again.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:17 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartalk2
MoparFanatic21 Thanks for reply. I have the hard copy of manual and just missed that section, it was there as you indicated. Thanks again.
No problem! it's very hard to miss especially when viewing it on a computer or phone. I always wanted the hard copy

Old 10-01-2018, 02:58 PM
Cartalk2
Professional

I was preparing to start separating connector in the front/cab of truck, but thought about the great wiring that is in these trucks. These wire system do not generally give problems unless damaged or altered. I had to look at the alterations I had made and the only one that seemed fit into running lights/panel lights was the retro-fit radio. I removed the radio and looks like problem solved. I can only guess where I lost all panel lights on the rheostat the problem is in the radio. What ever, my running lights seem back to normal -- I hope.

Surprising how many side circuits/splices are on this # 18 fuse, sure would be easer if it was dedicated to lighting.

Thanks to all that replied.

Last edited by Cartalk2; 10-01-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Electrical, Lights