2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

It finally happened

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 08:01 PM
fun4vern
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks mopar I think will put it on list

Old 09-30-2018, 10:58 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

I swapped the motor in my truck several years ago with a used motor I found on Craigslist. As was mentioned, on the 4x4 truck, best to leave the transmission in-place and put something under the bellhousing to keep it from dropping down when pulling the motor. To help the motor last, I pulled all of the freeze plugs and washed out the crud that collects around the cylinders to help with engine cooling. I replaced all of the freeze plugs with deep cup brass plugs. The freeze plugs in the block are 1-5/8" and the 4 plugs in the heads are 1-1/4". I also changed the timing chain and installed a double roller chain and gear set. Replaced the water pump with a new pump, too. Changed the thermostat and installed a quality Stant Superstat (please, don't install a cheap thermostat!). Check the distributor and cap - if they are high mileage parts, change them out, too, since they are a pain to access once the motor is installed in the truck. I changed the plugs and plug wires, too. Fix the plenum gasket on the intake, too. Clean the throttle body and make sure the throttle body intake gasket is in good shape.

What year is the 'new' motor? I ask, as if its from another year, you may have to use the intake off your old motor, as some sensors and ports moved around during the 8 year run of the magnum 5.9 engine.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:05 AM
fun4vern
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Atomic
Good idea on the flushing. Hopefully have enough time to do it. I will probly take all the new accesories of my old engine as they are like new. My worry is do I need to pull the distributor so as not to break it? Then will have to do fuel sync..... The junk yard says it is out of a 99 dakota, so might have to change a couple things is worse case..
Thanks for all the input guys.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Pull the cap and rotor off the dist. Then just be careful.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:26 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by fun4vern
Atomic
Good idea on the flushing. Hopefully have enough time to do it. I will probly take all the new accesories of my old engine as they are like new. My worry is do I need to pull the distributor so as not to break it? Then will have to do fuel sync..... The junk yard says it is out of a 99 dakota, so might have to change a couple things is worse case..
Thanks for all the input guys.
Please don't rush that job! - take the time to prep that USED motor - the time you spend up front will pay dividends with a trouble-free motor and many fewer issues after its been installed in the truck. For example, the freeze plugs in back of the motor are not accessible once the motor is installed, so if one leaks, you will need to either pull the motor or drop the transmission.

BTW, the used 5.9 I installed in my truck also came out of a Dakota.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:16 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

This part isn't necessary but helps a lot in finding leaks. Paint the new (to you) motor in a light color so you can see leaks in the future. I do that too all my vehicles. Like Atomic said DO NOT RUSH IT. Take your time and enjoy it. Do it once and not twice.

Quick Reply: It finally happened