2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should I keep fixing my truck

Old 09-30-2018, 11:47 PM
Austin1864
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I keep fixing my truck

Hello,

I got a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 318 about 3 years ago.I love my truck but over the last year and a half I have replaced the transmission, radiator, water pump, alternator, most of the evap system, new exhaust system, among numerous smaller repairs. Most of which I have done myself so it was not too expensive aside from the transmission. Today my transfer case went out on me and the part alone is making me question whether I should get it fixed. I wanted to get some thoughts on if it would be worth it to get it fixed since I already invested so much into it or just to move on to a newer truck.

Also I go camping and off the beaten path a lot in nowhere Canada. I need it to be reliable, I love the fact that I can make most repairs anywhere but am concerned if I move to a newer model it may be more difficult to work on as I have no experience in vechicles newer than 2001.

Thanks for your help,

Austin

Old 10-01-2018, 07:25 AM
djacobson
Rookie

Well you just about got everything covered now.Unless your going for a new truck do you want to start over with the repairs on another used one? Newer might not mean better.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:38 AM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Keep it they don't make them like that anymore, most of what you replaced are common maintainance items, another vehicle would come with another set of problems.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:10 AM
wrnchbndr
Professional

There is a huge advantage in knowing your vehicle. Not just 25 miles from nowhere but even in the middle of a city. If the truck meets your needs you should keep it as long as it isn't suffering from irreparable rust rot. Consider buying another one, and rebuilding the engine in anticipation for an engine swap. It really depends on the type of person you are. I also have a '97 1500 that is new to me but it seems to be a very straight forward and easy to repair vehicle. Better the devil you know...

Old 10-01-2018, 09:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Originally Posted by wrnchbndr
There is a huge advantage in knowing your vehicle. Not just 25 miles from nowhere but even in the middle of a city. If the truck meets your needs you should keep it as long as it isn't suffering from irreparable rust rot. Consider buying another one, and rebuilding the engine in anticipation for an engine swap. It really depends on the type of person you are. I also have a '97 1500 that is new to me but it seems to be a very straight forward and easy to repair vehicle. Better the devil you know...
This.

I don't buy new. In fact, I think I have only owned two vehicles that were actually built in the same decade that I owned them...... I generally end up spending a fair pile of cash shortly after purchase, just to address the issues that I see. After driving it for a couple months, most problems have been dealt with. Then, it's just maintenance for the next several years.... when it starts breaking down faster than I can fix it, or, if repairs are going to be more than what I would spend on a replacement, (plus the initial round of repairs.....) I will consider replacing it.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:26 AM
Austin1864

Thankyou for the insight. It has no frame rust just a bit of surface rust on the driver side door. I guess it’s been the last year and a half that has worried me, I paid 4000 for the truck a few years back but have put about 5000 in it in the last year and a half or so. It has never left me stranded through. No matter what has been wrong with it, it has gotten me back home so I have an attachment to it.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:35 AM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say keep and repair it, unless as previously mentioned, it's a real rust bucket.
All vehicles will cost you, buy a newer one and make payments or pay as you go and make repairs.
At least you know what you have now, purchase another one and start all over fixing someone elses
problems.
Shop the junk yards, pick-a-part yards, ebay, craigslist, ect. for replacement parts.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:27 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Labor of love. IMO that is the biggest reason you would drive something as old as a 2nd gen, otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense. At least where I live, they are practically extinct.

My favorite hobby is wrenching, I typically enjoy the path and not the end result. Even I get mentally worn out at times thinking of the next thing(s) I have to address (I think I am pickier than most). I am usually fixing or touching up something close to every weekend to stay on top of stuff, winter beats it to hell. As stated above there is however comfort in knowing where a machine is at, what has been done and what should be on your radar to monitor next. You can't predict everything that might catastrophically fail, but there's some (twisted) fun in that. To each their own.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:51 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Yes. The 2nd gen were the beginning / end of an era (big rig styling that launched the pickup sales boon / solid axle real trucks).

Old 10-01-2018, 06:30 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 297 Likes on 281 Posts

Since you are mechanically skilled, keep the truck. Once the maintenance is done on them, they tend to run along quite awhile.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I keep fixing my truck