2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sqealing rear brakes while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 11:56 AM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shoe

Old 10-21-2018, 12:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SaltyGreenBean
Trying that again. Can't seem to post only one at a time.
Is that cable too long? Did they maybe give you parts for larger diameter drums?

Old 10-21-2018, 12:50 PM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is that cable too long? Did they maybe give you parts for larger diameter drums?
I did take it off compare it against the old one. They seemed to be the same. I'll double check it though. The right or passenger side is a little tighter but not enough to hold the adjuster. My drums have been turned once. Might just get new ones. When I apply the e-braked it tightens up to where the adjuster and the stop are together. I'll try a pic of that when I go check the cable!!! Thanks.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:23 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Did you adjust the shoes so they just touch the drum? The front shoe looks like its way too deep. Also, why is the front shoe lining thinner than the rear?

Old 10-21-2018, 05:49 PM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Did you adjust the shoes so they just touch the drum? The front shoe looks like its way too deep. Also, why is the front shoe lining thinner than the rear?
I have just finished adjusting the brakes. I know I'm old school but I thought going in reverse and hitting the brakes would adjust them. I have always done that in the past and had no problems. They are supposed to be self adjusting brakes, right?? But I did turn the adjuster till the brakes started to touch. The left side adjuster and the part it clicks on are not engaging enough to hold it. Like I told HeYou earlier, I put the old cable for the e-brake back on and it took up a little slack. Not good enough for me. Still at it. As far as the thickness, I am researching this. The parts store could not give me an answer on this. If I'm correct, rarely, the e-brake pushes just the front shoe forward. When I set the e-brake the adjuster and the part that it "clicks" on are fine.. Thanks for your input!!

Old 11-16-2018, 02:33 PM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie

Sorry I had some health issues. But back to the brakes. I have put new drums on and manually adjusted the brakes. I have been driving it for awhile now. Still when I get near a fence, wall or something solid I hear a squealing noise on the driver rear. I cannot duplicate the sound when up on jack stands. Do ya'll think it could be the axle bearing? As stated before the noise stops when I apply the brakes. Thanks again for any input or suggestions.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:46 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Something looks out of whack the way that shoe is wearing in post #11. Have you taken the drums back off and looked for rub marks everything?

it's hard to tell from the picture but is the edge of the backing plate getting rubbed. It looks a little shinier in the one spot.

Last edited by racefan41; 11-16-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:11 PM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie

Originally Posted by racefan41
Something looks out of whack the way that shoe is wearing in post #11. Have you taken the drums back off and looked for rub marks everything?

it's hard to tell from the picture but is the edge of the backing plate getting rubbed. It looks a little shinier in the one spot.
Agreed. I'm getting ready to pull it again. Yeah I need to see what the shoes look like with the new drums on it!! I'll get some pics too. Give me a few. Thanks!!

Old 11-17-2018, 08:03 PM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SaltyGreenBean
Agreed. I'm getting ready to pull it again. Yeah I need to see what the shoes look like with the new drums on it!! I'll get some pics too. Give me a few. Thanks!!
Update!! The shoes are wearing across the whole lining now since installing the new drums.Took the drivers side rear brake assembly completely apart. Re lubed the friction parts and put it all back together. Looked the same. I could not see any evidence of any contact where it shouldn't be. The areas of the pic of # 11 appears to be from my drum removal tools, two screw drivers!! Took it for a test run, still squealing. I did notice that when I turned the truck to the kind of hard right the squealing was more " noticeable"? And again all this noise stops when applying the brakes. Sooooo, since I can't find anything wrong with brakes, I'm pulling the axle. There is no rear end leakage and the fluid level checks good. I realize the manual says permanently lubricated bearings but after 192000 and change on it after 17 years of beach driving. I'm doing the process of elimination but I'm lost to where the noise is coming from.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:13 PM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie

Ok just to make your day, my squealing rear brakes weren't my squealing rear brakes. It was my right front caliper. Ok I'm getting older and don't hear so good. Anyway one of the pistons on the brake caliper stuck all but completely destroying the brake pad. Should have known better since the truck was pulling hard right, DUH!!! So if you can see the picture the pad completely wore down on one side falling to pieces and literally heated the pad base so hot it actually bent. It almost got into the new rotors so I lucked out there.

Quick Reply: Sqealing rear brakes while driving