2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sqealing rear brakes while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 09:03 PM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sqealing rear brakes while driving

Ok. I just replaced my rear wheel cylinders, brake shoes and all new hardware. Cleaned everything. Lubed up the friction points. I did not replace the drums. And I did not have it checked for the maximum wear limit. I have some tools but not an 11 to 12 inch mic. When driving, especially by a fence, wall, curb ect....., I hear a squealing noise on the drivers rear. when I hit the brakes the noise stops. ???????? Possible bad new spring? It all looked and went together like it should. So I pulled it off again tonight. This will be my fourth try. I can not figure this out. I said screw it and came in to post this thread. Realizing I needed help again. Thanks for any advise!!

Old 10-19-2018, 11:32 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SaltyGreenBean
Ok. I just replaced my rear wheel cylinders, brake shoes and all new hardware. Cleaned everything. Lubed up the friction points. I did not replace the drums. And I did not have it checked for the maximum wear limit. I have some tools but not an 11 to 12 inch mic. When driving, especially by a fence, wall, curb ect....., I hear a squealing noise on the drivers rear. when I hit the brakes the noise stops. ???????? Possible bad new spring? It all looked and went together like it should. So I pulled it off again tonight. This will be my fourth try. I can not figure this out. I said screw it and came in to post this thread. Realizing I needed help again. Thanks for any advise!!
Did you break in the new pads? When I worked at the Dodge garage they said about doing 2 medium stops from 35 then 2 hard stops at about 40-50. My rear brakes did that until I did that then it quite

Old 10-20-2018, 08:03 AM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Did you break in the new pads? When I worked at the Dodge garage they said about doing 2 medium stops from 35 then 2 hard stops at about 40-50. My rear brakes did that until I did that then it quite
Yes. I did perform some break in stops. Even a couple in reverse. While looking at them this morning they appear to look real shiny already ( the shoe surface). like they are glazed over already. Now I'm thinking cheap *** break shoes. Problem is with that is these are the same brand I have used since buying the truck new. The adjuster was screwed all the way in so the drums go off and on very easy. I also just noticed that the adjuster stop is not engaging with the teeth on the adjuster. Almost like the e brake cable that runs from the adjuster stop to the top post is too long. Still confused. Thanks again.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Can you post a pic of what things look like?

Old 10-20-2018, 09:08 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Adjuster all the way in, sounds unusual. You need to adjust your shoes so that they are just slightly skimming the drum when you spin it.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:01 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When you cleaned the rotors, did you use and light sandpaper/steel wool or something or something like that to get the glaze off the surface? Is the squeal pretty constant or does it sound like its hitting at a high spot on the rotor?

Old 10-20-2018, 03:07 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by racefan41
When you cleaned the rotors, did you use and light sandpaper/steel wool or something or something like that to get the glaze off the surface? Is the squeal pretty constant or does it sound like its hitting at a high spot on the rotor?
He is working on his rear drum brakes...

Old 10-21-2018, 11:48 AM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie
Default Some pics

Old 10-21-2018, 11:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Anywhere nearby you could get those turned?

Old 10-21-2018, 11:55 AM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie

Trying that again. Can't seem to post only one at a time.

Quick Reply: Sqealing rear brakes while driving