Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

Sqealing rear brakes while driving

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sqealing rear brakes while driving

  #1  
Old 10-19-2018, 09:03 PM
1SaltyGreenBean's Avatar
1SaltyGreenBean
1SaltyGreenBean is offline
Amateur
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: the beach
Posts: 34
Default Sqealing rear brakes while driving

Ok. I just replaced my rear wheel cylinders, brake shoes and all new hardware. Cleaned everything. Lubed up the friction points. I did not replace the drums. And I did not have it checked for the maximum wear limit. I have some tools but not an 11 to 12 inch mic. When driving, especially by a fence, wall, curb ect....., I hear a squealing noise on the drivers rear. when I hit the brakes the noise stops. ???????? Possible bad new spring? It all looked and went together like it should. So I pulled it off again tonight. This will be my fourth try. I can not figure this out. I said screw it and came in to post this thread. Realizing I needed help again. Thanks for any advise!!
 
  #2  
Old 10-19-2018, 11:32 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,146
Default

Originally Posted by 1SaltyGreenBean View Post
Ok. I just replaced my rear wheel cylinders, brake shoes and all new hardware. Cleaned everything. Lubed up the friction points. I did not replace the drums. And I did not have it checked for the maximum wear limit. I have some tools but not an 11 to 12 inch mic. When driving, especially by a fence, wall, curb ect....., I hear a squealing noise on the drivers rear. when I hit the brakes the noise stops. ???????? Possible bad new spring? It all looked and went together like it should. So I pulled it off again tonight. This will be my fourth try. I can not figure this out. I said screw it and came in to post this thread. Realizing I needed help again. Thanks for any advise!!
Did you break in the new pads? When I worked at the Dodge garage they said about doing 2 medium stops from 35 then 2 hard stops at about 40-50. My rear brakes did that until I did that then it quite
 
  #3  
Old 10-20-2018, 08:03 AM
1SaltyGreenBean's Avatar
1SaltyGreenBean
1SaltyGreenBean is offline
Amateur
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: the beach
Posts: 34
Default

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 View Post
Did you break in the new pads? When I worked at the Dodge garage they said about doing 2 medium stops from 35 then 2 hard stops at about 40-50. My rear brakes did that until I did that then it quite
Yes. I did perform some break in stops. Even a couple in reverse. While looking at them this morning they appear to look real shiny already ( the shoe surface). like they are glazed over already. Now I'm thinking cheap *** break shoes. Problem is with that is these are the same brand I have used since buying the truck new. The adjuster was screwed all the way in so the drums go off and on very easy. I also just noticed that the adjuster stop is not engaging with the teeth on the adjuster. Almost like the e brake cable that runs from the adjuster stop to the top post is too long. Still confused. Thanks again.
 
  #4  
Old 10-20-2018, 08:35 AM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 56,144
Default

Can you post a pic of what things look like?
 
  #5  
Old 10-20-2018, 09:08 AM
fj5gtx's Avatar
fj5gtx
fj5gtx is offline
All Star
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 912
Default

Adjuster all the way in, sounds unusual. You need to adjust your shoes so that they are just slightly skimming the drum when you spin it.
 
  #6  
Old 10-20-2018, 02:01 PM
racefan41
racefan41 is offline
Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Shawnee, KS
Posts: 431
Default

When you cleaned the rotors, did you use and light sandpaper/steel wool or something or something like that to get the glaze off the surface? Is the squeal pretty constant or does it sound like its hitting at a high spot on the rotor?
 
  #7  
Old 10-20-2018, 03:07 PM
fj5gtx's Avatar
fj5gtx
fj5gtx is offline
All Star
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 912
Default

Originally Posted by racefan41 View Post
When you cleaned the rotors, did you use and light sandpaper/steel wool or something or something like that to get the glaze off the surface? Is the squeal pretty constant or does it sound like its hitting at a high spot on the rotor?
He is working on his rear drum brakes...

 
  #8  
Old 10-21-2018, 11:48 AM
1SaltyGreenBean's Avatar
1SaltyGreenBean
1SaltyGreenBean is offline
Amateur
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: the beach
Posts: 34
Default Some pics

 
  #9  
Old 10-21-2018, 11:49 AM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 56,144
Default

Anywhere nearby you could get those turned?
 
  #10  
Old 10-21-2018, 11:55 AM
1SaltyGreenBean's Avatar
1SaltyGreenBean
1SaltyGreenBean is offline
Amateur
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: the beach
Posts: 34
Default

Trying that again. Can't seem to post only one at a time.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sqealing rear brakes while driving


Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: