2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vibration of the month

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 08:23 AM
rayaa3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration of the month

It was a beautiful sunday, maybe the last of the fall. I had a laundry list of husband chores to do in the nice weather so I had the truck out a lot. It's been running well. A month ago I had some issues with trans failing to "go" on cold start after putting in gear. I've started to let it warm a little longer on cold start in order for pressure to come up on trans and haven't had any problems in the last month on cold starts.

This weekend I had a new vibration. After stopping at a stoplight or stop sign, about 3 seconds after the stop there is a brief vibration I feel in my seat (it's either under me or maybe behind me). Could this be more evidence of a failing transmission? It only started on my last few minutes of driving after a weekend of city freeway and towing.

The vibration isnt that loud. I had the windows down, and if I hadn't felt it in my seat I don't think I would have heard it i. City traffic with the radio on.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

If you are stopped, very little in the trans is actually moving, so, your vibration is likely something else.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:37 AM
rayaa3
Professional

My only reasoning was that as it was right after a quick stopeach time it could be a down shift.

given how little is moving at a full stop and where I feel the vibration (below/behind) its got to be something settling into a spot. I'll have to drive it a little more and see.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:59 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a laundry list of husband chores to do
Fix the main problem first, then truck

LOL

Old 10-29-2018, 02:05 PM
rayaa3
Professional

Originally Posted by TNtech
Fix the main problem first, then truck

LOL
Nah. She's a keeper.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:34 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Jk

Old 10-29-2018, 03:08 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
Jk

I never knew a life coach to also be a mechanic lol

Old 10-29-2018, 03:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I never knew a life coach to also be a mechanic lol
Hey man, we fix the broke stuff. Regardless of what it is.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:58 PM
rayaa3
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Hey man, we fix the broke stuff. Regardless of what it is.

Yeah - so when I was 21 I bought a brand new one...drove it for 5 years. Had no idea what the total cost of ownership was going to be like...the maintenance, the depreciation in the first year...it was rough. At 26 I basically paid someone to take it off my hands (the resell market is awful). For the next 4 or 5 years I either used public transportation, borrowed a friends, walked myself, or rented something if I was really desperate. Finally around 30 I decided I was ready to try ownership again...this time I did it smart - I did a lot of research on what I wanted, and what was out there. When I finally pulled the trigger I opted for a used model. Someone else had already put some accessories on her - and maybe hadn't always followed the intervals on her - but that's ok, most of the real problems had been worked out and I was a much smarter owner. I never ask her to tow more than what's in the owners manual...I follow the maintenance schedule to a tee...and she never lets me down. As it turns out the accessories that had been pre-installed have become just as important to me as the actual...vehicle... At the time I thought I knew what it was to love your...truck...but 13 years later, it surprises me all the time.

Now if anyone has any thoughts about a weird vibration that lasts a second, and occurs about 3 seconds after a quick stop...I'm all ears.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Do you have the capability to do data logging?

Quick Reply: Vibration of the month