Bubbles coming from Master Cylinder - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

Bubbles coming from Master Cylinder

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bubbles coming from Master Cylinder

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 11-05-2018, 09:36 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Record Breaker
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,999
Default Bubbles coming from Master Cylinder

Ok so I finally added the rear self adjusters to the rear drum brakes. Well they might be out of adjustment and I'm getting air in the master cylinder. If I remove the cap and someone presses the brakes it shots the fluid up from the air. Could the rear brakes being out of adjustment cause this?
EDIT: It's the rear reservoir which means front brakes, but I did not touch them.
 

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 11-05-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-05-2018, 10:22 PM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 53,639
Default

Fluid shooting up when you step on the brake is normal. The piston retracts far enough that fluid can fill the chamber the piston uses. The piston will actually suck fluid out of the reservoir when you let your foot OFF the brake, so, there is that short stretch of travel where the piston is attempted to build pressure (when you step on the brake) that the port to the reservoir is still open, and fluid does what fluid does. It follows the path of least resistance.

That said, you should NOT be seeing air bubbles there. That implies a bad seal somewhere. (likely the master itself.)
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2018, 12:05 AM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Record Breaker
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,999
Default Problem solved

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Fluid shooting up when you step on the brake is normal. The piston retracts far enough that fluid can fill the chamber the piston uses. The piston will actually suck fluid out of the reservoir when you let your foot OFF the brake, so, there is that short stretch of travel where the piston is attempted to build pressure (when you step on the brake) that the port to the reservoir is still open, and fluid does what fluid does. It follows the path of least resistance.

That said, you should NOT be seeing air bubbles there. That implies a bad seal somewhere. (likely the master itself.)
Thank you Bryan! (Hope you don't mind me calling you that) I have been wrenching for 15 years and never had the cap off while pumping the brakes, usually doing things myself. I happen to have a buddy this time. Turned out the rear needed bleed because they needed adjusted way out. I guess you truly do learn everyday. What was happening is the fluid moving around was causing bubble which I thought was air. I was worried because I didn't touch any of the brake lines. Thanks again I really appreciate it . Now on my way to Detroit for work
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2018, 09:20 AM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 53,639
Default

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 View Post
Thank you Bryan! (Hope you don't mind me calling you that) I have been wrenching for 15 years and never had the cap off while pumping the brakes, usually doing things myself. I happen to have a buddy this time. Turned out the rear needed bleed because they needed adjusted way out. I guess you truly do learn everyday. What was happening is the fluid moving around was causing bubble which I thought was air. I was worried because I didn't touch any of the brake lines. Thanks again I really appreciate it . Now on my way to Detroit for work
Brian with an "i".

Detroit? You are going to be within spittin' distance of me. Should come by for a visit, if you have the time. (I am about 80 miles west of detroit.)
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-06-2018, 01:02 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Record Breaker
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,999
Default

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Brian with an "i".

Detroit? You are going to be within spittin' distance of me. Should come by for a visit, if you have the time. (I am about 80 miles west of detroit.)
Well Detroit is my 3rd stop! If I do have the time I'll definitely stop. You can see my truck that is named "The Mut" for obvious reasons
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-2018, 10:53 AM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 53,639
Default

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 View Post
Well Detroit is my 3rd stop! If I do have the time I'll definitely stop. You can see my truck that is named "The Mut" for obvious reasons
Sounds like a winner.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-07-2018, 03:11 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Record Breaker
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,999
Default

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Sounds like a winner.
Hey you I got a question for you. I have about 3 days downtime and want to wire in an aftermarket fuse box. What is the best way to make some of them switched power? Tap into the ignition wire?
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-07-2018, 07:36 PM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 53,639
Default

Use a relay to provide power to the aux fuse box, have it draw power direct from the battery, and use one of your switched ignition feeds to control it.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-07-2018, 08:16 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Record Breaker
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,999
Default

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Use a relay to provide power to the aux fuse box, have it draw power direct from the battery, and use one of your switched ignition feeds to control it.
Forgot about relays... It's been a long day
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-07-2018, 08:25 PM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 53,639
Default

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 View Post
Forgot about relays... It's been a long day
Happy Wednesday. Third Monday of the week.
 
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bubbles coming from Master Cylinder


Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: