2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fix one problem and gain another (Thermostat bolt snapped)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fix one problem and gain another (Thermostat bolt snapped)

I got the alternator issue fixed, the scrap yard didn’t have the correct one, so I bought one from autozone. Got it in and it works well. But, being me with my luck, I thought I was leaking a little coolant because I never put a thermostat gasket on it....so while I was in there already I thought I should just do that now, we’ll the first bolt came off fine, second one just snapped immediately off (picture)

Am I going to have to drill that out....? What’s the best way to handle this situation?

I just put a ton of rtv on it and the other bolt with the new gasket and just tried it...started up good with the new alternator, battery level was a little over 14, I’m happy with that. I look down and there’s a check engine light...of course...I go look under it and it’s just pouring out coolant. So yeah that didn’t work. What should I do now?
keep in mind I don’t have much money for a shop to do it, I’m in a parking lot, and I don’t have too many tools. It’s supposed to snow tomorrow, my luck, so after the snow, probably Tuesday, I’ll try to get this fixed.

Thank you

Old 11-09-2018, 01:26 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaw91097
I got the alternator issue fixed, the scrap yard didn’t have the correct one, so I bought one from autozone. Got it in and it works well. But, being me with my luck, I thought I was leaking a little coolant because I never put a thermostat gasket on it....so while I was in there already I thought I should just do that now, we’ll the first bolt came off fine, second one just snapped immediately off (picture)

Am I going to have to drill that out....? What’s the best way to handle this situation?

I just put a ton of rtv on it and the other bolt with the new gasket and just tried it...started up good with the new alternator, battery level was a little over 14, I’m happy with that. I look down and there’s a check engine light...of course...I go look under it and it’s just pouring out coolant. So yeah that didn’t work. What should I do now?
keep in mind I don’t have much money for a shop to do it, I’m in a parking lot, and I don’t have too many tools. It’s supposed to snow tomorrow, my luck, so after the snow, probably Tuesday, I’ll try to get this fixed.

Thank you
You have a few options.
Drill and easy out
Weld a washer to it
Drill it out tap it and get a new bolt
Depending on how bad it is in there. I would go in the order I posted. The weld option won't work if it isn't sticking out a little from the hole.
Another option is buy a used motor swap it in to

Old 11-09-2018, 01:40 PM
wrnchbndr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo dude, you're really screwed here. Not so much by the problem but rather by the circumstances. You really need this to be tended to by someone who knows what they are doing and they will need some good karma. Its not something to fix yourself unless you have experience. Even with a lot of experience with this sort of thing, a repair like that scares me. You need a plan and you need a back up plan for every part of the process. I'd immediately apply some sort of liquid wrench equivalent to it now to let it start to be absorbed. Hopefully, the bolt broke more from being over-tightened than from being rusted in place. It may have been damaged previously from being over-torqued years ago. Any time I use an easy-out it's scary. Don't rush this repair. Pay someone to do this if you're not confident of your ability. Do it right and hopefully the bolt comes out easily. I wish you luck sir.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:41 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

Have you changed the plenum gasket on your intake yet? If you look down the throttle body (with the butterflies opened up) and see any oil puddling at the bottom of the intake, you will need to remove the intake to change the intake plenum gasket, which is on the bottom of the intake under the steel plate.

Since your truck is sitting a parking lot, you may find it easier to remove the intake, take it home and repair it where you have access to more tools. You will need to drain the coolant to remove the intake.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:53 PM
wrnchbndr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a bad idea

Old 11-09-2018, 01:55 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran

I have an idea from all of this...I’ve already swapped my motor before and I’m not doing it again, this year at least.
The motor I have is a 96...my truck is a 97..I used the same intake on my old 97 motor and kept the 96’s intake. Is it possible to use the 96 intake? I know the fuel lines look different

I have not changed the plenum gasket on this motor but I have on my last one, still have the gaskets.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:55 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

Its highly possible that the '96 intake could be used. If it was a very early '96 model intake, it could have a EGR provision that would need to be plugged. Check for all the sensor port locations and re-use the fuel lines from the intake on the truck and you should be golden. Change that intake plenum gasket while you're at it!

While this approach may be a bit more work with pulling/swapping the intake, in the long run, you will be ahead of the game and in a warmer place prepping/fixing the intake.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:15 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Its highly possible that the '96 intake could be used. If it was a very early '96 model intake, it could have a EGR provision that would need to be plugged. Check for all the sensor port locations and re-use the fuel lines from the intake on the truck and you should be golden. Change that intake plenum gasket while you're at it!

While this approach may be a bit more work with pulling/swapping the intake, in the long run, you will be ahead of the game and in a warmer place prepping/fixing the intake.
Ill take a look at it tomorrow and check if there are any other differences, if there are and I’m not able to use it then I should be able to go get a bare intake from the scrap yard for $30, I saw a few today anyway. I’ve taken my old intake off three or four times so it’s not so bad or a hassle, takes about ten to fifteen minutes now that I’ve memorized it lol. I’m just glad the bolt is in the intake and not in the actual block, like I originally thought that it was

Old 11-09-2018, 04:38 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaw91097

Ill take a look at it tomorrow and check if there are any other differences, if there are and I’m not able to use it then I should be able to go get a bare intake from the scrap yard for $30, I saw a few today anyway. I’ve taken my old intake off three or four times so it’s not so bad or a hassle, takes about ten to fifteen minutes now that I’ve memorized it lol. I’m just glad the bolt is in the intake and not in the actual block, like I originally thought that it was
They are the same with sensors and what not. The only difference they could be present are the ERG provision (Atomic already said) and the fuel line. For some reason Dodge went from the male being on the intake to the female being there. If those are the same you can use it.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

The early intakes also had two temp sensors where the newer ones only have one. Don't know exactly when the change happened but look at yours to see witch one you have. The fuel rail also changed from metal to plastic, If you have the plastic one swap it out for the metal one.

Quick Reply: Fix one problem and gain another (Thermostat bolt snapped)