2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trucks stalls after 40minutes won't fire back up.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 04:39 AM
eyebolts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trucks stalls after 40minutes won't fire back up.

Hello I think I have a curse on my truck. It is a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0L V10. My truck starts up fine. It runs for about 40 minutes and shuts off like someone turned the key off no matter what gear I'm in or idling. Have to wait about an hour to start it back up. I have replaced the wires, plugs (gapped to spec), Iginiton coil packs (both), Crankshaft sensor (spliced in new plug), Camshaft sensor, pulled upper intake to replace EGR there weren't any manufactured holes present (so it never had one and ran fine), replaced upper intake manifold gasket, cleaned injectors manually, replaced Idle Air control valve, Throttle position sensor, Main PCM/ECM (brain) from Flagship One, changed thermostat, replaced relays ie. Auto Shut Off/Fuel Pump/and the other one, changed air filter/oil filter and change, changed both + and - airflow PCV valves, and both O2 sensors in exhaust. Stills dies/stalls the same. I had replaced the catalytic converters back in May and installed a Super 50 Flowmaster muffler back in 01/18. The problem first started after a long day of driving around town and proceeded to get back on Interstate with an 85mph speed limit, engaged cruise control within 1.9 miles it started this stalling out not starting issue. I let it cool down and even opened gas cap instinctual (vapor lock). Jiggled around harness. Pulled fuses/relays in/out and check for loose battery connections. Unhooked battery completely to see if I had to reset anything/hooked back up...nothing. After it cooled enough, I guess, about an hour it started back up and ran for another 1.9 miles and stalled again. Called wife come pick me up and had truck towed to a shop and their were/ and still is no codes. I'm at a loss. I've watched 100's of DIY youtube videos and have asked many mechanics to no joy. One even threw his hands up at the beginning of me saying that it stalls will not fire back up and said good luck. What I mean by attempting to fire back up after stall is that it'll keep trying to turn until battery is dead which is quite a while. I just sit and wait for cool down. I can't use this vehicle outside town it WILL die. If I drive around town I better make it a quick trip. This issue may be posted elsewhere looked. not sure, I know there are many many videos about similar problems, but, not exactly this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need this truck for work. Thank You.

Last edited by eyebolts; 11-11-2018 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Additional statements
Old 11-11-2018, 04:45 AM
eyebolts

Fuel rail does pressure up. I also noticed when it stalls the cruise control "ON" light stays on. Cannot turn it off. Dunno if it's common for this light to come on when it stalls. Also, hooked up one of those OBD2 scanners no codes. Uhh, yeah. thx

Old 11-11-2018, 09:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,285 Likes on 3,032 Posts

Something is getting hot, and failing. Since you can reproduce the issue in your driveway, let it run till it quits, then see what's missing, spark, or fuel, or both. Start from there.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:30 AM
eyebolts

Thanks for helping me out. I'm a complete DIY'r. This truck has turned me from just changing oil/tires to reading specs and restoration CD'S/youtube vids in about 6 months. Crash course forced on by necessity. Starting to pull out a meter and reading pins/relays paying close attention to guys that have done this for awhile. I'm thinking it's the fuel pump. I've read about an odd scenario where it could be the VSS (speed sensor) getting one of those too. Speedometer was off by 5mph since I bought it a year ago. Live and learn, I guess. I also have to go back and drop the tranny pan again because I fixed a leaking gasket (dripping on the ground). Replaced gasket, filter, cleaned pan, magnet, gasket surfaces, and closed it back up. Now it doesn't want to shift out of gear when in drive. The fluid I used was ATF +4 Mopar because they don't make ATF+ anymore. Read I need to adjust the bands and I already bought the shift solenoid. I'm just trying to use common sense here. I know it's getting spark because it fires up nicely and I did a full tuneup on it plugs/wires etc. I do live in an extreme weather State and I could have gotten a hold of some crappy fuel. I don't know the last time the fuel pump was changed. Couldn't hurt I guess. Thanks again. Letcha know how it turns out in a couple days.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:34 AM
eyebolts

Also find it odd that even with a new computer/brain it doesn't tell me anything through the scanner port under the dash. No check engine light for anything. Here are a few pics. It's pretty nice, to me anyways. It only has 94,000 miles on it.

Last edited by eyebolts; 11-15-2018 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention something small
Old 11-15-2018, 07:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,285 Likes on 3,032 Posts

Wow. That is indeed low mileage for the 8.0. I regularly see them pushing 300K on original engine/trans.....

There are a variety of sensors that have failure modes that the computer won't recognize as a failure. Having an O-scope makes troubleshooting some of them easier, and now, we have 'software o-scopes', that plug into your laptop. You can read sensor signals directly, in real time. (yes, I want one.) Need to find out what's missing when it won't start, fuel, or spark.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:28 AM
eyebolts

Yeah, it's a real pain in the butt finding parts and DIY videos. Mostly 2001 and up. This the year, I think, they also came out with the diesel. I've used Summit Racing, Rock Auto, Parts Geek, and 1A Auto for some. Just got the build sheet. I'll post it just in case anyone can use it:

We are pleased to provide vehicle build information per your request.
According to our records, your vehicle was equipped from the factory with the following:
1996 RAM 2500 PICKUP
*P1 Premium Cloth 40/20/40 Bench Seat
ADAP Light Group
ADJP Heavy Duty Service Group
AHC Trailer Tow Group
AHJ Camper Special Group
AJKP Convenience Group
AJPP Power Convenience Group
APAS Monotone Paint
ASPP SLT Decor Group
BAZP 136 Amp Alternator
BCQS 750 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BGJS Pwr Disc/Drum Rr Anti-Lock Brakes
BKBS Rear Drum Brakes
CBEP 40/20/40 Split Bench Seat
CGTS Driver Air Bag Only
CHEP Deluxe Headliner
CKEP Front Seat Area Carpet
CLAP Front Floor Mats
CSPS Passenger Assist Handle
CSRP Passenger Assist Handles
CUDP Mini Overhead Console
CUVP Behind Seat Modular Storage System
CUYP Storage Tray
DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGPS 4-Spd. Automatic 47RE Transmission
DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHHS Shift-on-the-Fly, 241 Transfer Case
DJFS Dana M60/248MM Front Axle
DMDS 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRES Dana M70/267MM Rear Axle
EAAC All Engines
EWA 8.0L V10 MPI Engine
GACS Tinted Glass Windows
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror
GNMP Passenger Side Sun Visor w/Mirror
GPUS Manual 6 x 9 Black Mirrors
GVAC All Vehicles W/O Power Mirrors
HAAP Air Conditioning
HGAP Hood Insulation
HGBS Dash Liner Insulation
JAYP Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JJAS Cigar Lighter
JJBP Dual Note Electric Horns
JJJP 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
JPAP Power Windows
JPBP Power Locks
K17P Bodyside Molding
LAAP Seat Belt Alert-3rd Row
LBAP Map/Courtesy Lamp
LBCP Glove Box Lamp
LDAP Underhood Lamp
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LPEP Cargo Lamp
MBFP Bright Rear Bumper
MCTP Bright Front Bumper
MDAP Front License Plate Bracket
MFDS Bright Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
MPBP Black Tailgate Applique
MWDP Removable Tailgate w/Caliper Latches
MXCP Front Bumper Sight Shields
NAA Federal Emissions
NBKS EVAP Control System
NFVS 35 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHBP Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler
NHMP Speed Control
NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
PQKA Aqua Pearl Coat
QQKS Aqua Pearl Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RASP AM/FM Cassette Radio
RCDP 4 Speakers
RDDP Fixed Long Mast Antenna
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCVP Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SFBS Front Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SGBS Rear Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
SUAP Tilt Steering Column
TBBP Full Size Spare Tire
TBMS Tire Carrier Winch
TYDP LT245/75R16E BSW All Season Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WDCP 16X6.5 Aluminum Wheels
WLBS Steel Spare Wheel
WLYC All Steel Wheels
WMJP Center Hub
XBSS Pickup Box
XEFP Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications
If you have further questions, you can call us directly with your questions at the Ram Product Information Center by calling 1-866-726-4636.
Sincerely,
Nicole
Ram Product Information Center

Quick Reply: Trucks stalls after 40minutes won't fire back up.