2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will adding a disk brake conversion add to my towing capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 10:55 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

people really overthink things. the truck should be just fine if it is just towing a 6-7000lb camper trailer. if you are really that worried you could just buy a weight distributing hitch. as far as brakes go a trailer that heavy should have its own brakes so no real need to mess with the ones on your truck.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:55 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
people really overthink things. the truck should be just fine if it is just towing a 6-7000lb camper trailer. if you are really that worried you could just buy a weight distributing hitch. as far as brakes go a trailer that heavy should have its own brakes so no real need to mess with the ones on your truck.
That is poor advice!

Not sure where the OP lives, but PA law states that every trailer over 3000 lbs must have brakes on every wheel. While it helps to have the trailer have its own braking, that doesn't change the tow vehicle capability. Weight distribution hitch lowers the stress on the vehicle hitch and raises the hitch's capacity for load. But that doesn't change the vehicle's base towing capability. Factory hitches are generally rated at 5k, so if you want to tow something larger and not pay the price to change out your hitch, weight distribution is one way to do it.... but if your truck is rated at 5k, weight distribution doesn't help you there - you are still illegal and dangerous. It does make the tow experience a bit more pleasant.

Not sure where the OP got the weight rating of 5k, but the 2001 data I posted in my first response to this thread shows that if you have a 2001 1500 with 3.92 gears in a 1/2 ton 318 - you're good to 7950lbs for the trailer - assuming you have a hitch or combo setup that can handle it. Tow weights generally continue to increase, so maybe his year is lighter rated. Also, there is such a thing as combined weight rating; you add up the truck and trailer - must stay under that rating as well.

Your towing rig should be carefully considered before you go out on the road, you don't want to be accused of "under-thinking" your rig if involved in an accident. I've been pulled over for random safety inspections a couple times, but I'm always in spec because I setup my rig properly. Also, break-away brake setups is mandatory in PA for trailers over 3k lbs, and you have to keep that battery charged up and ready to go. I have owned a 7k rated car trailer with tandem axles since 2005, so I'm well versed in the topic.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:47 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Quick Reply: Will adding a disk brake conversion add to my towing capacity?