2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drivers side axle shaft U-Joint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 03:40 PM
JeffreySpicoli
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side axle shaft U-Joint?

I replaced the U joint on my right(passenger side) last week because it had play. I noticed that the left(driver) side has a little play, and i am going to just tackle it while i have time. I cant find anything specific about that side. I hear the procedure is different than the right side. Plz help! I have the FSM and havent seen anything about it. I have the 1999 ram 1500 4x4 with the dana 44 front axle.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Procedure is almost exactly the same, just don't have the CAD stuff to deal with. So, pull the tire, caliper, rotor (if you can....), and the axle nut. Three bolts for the hub/bearing unit, and once that is out of the way, the axle will slide right out. Go gently though, the seal on that side is on the INSIDE end of the axle tube, and is a major exercise to change. (gotta pull the carrier to even see it....) Be careful when you put it back together, to NOT trash the seal.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:00 AM
JeffreySpicoli
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=HeyYou;3419581]Procedure is almost exactly the same, just don't have the CAD stuff to deal with. So, pull the tire, caliper, rotor (if you can....), and the axle nut. Three bolts for the hub/bearing unit, and once that is out of the way, the axle will slide right out. Go gently though, the seal on that side is on the INSIDE end of the axle tube, and is a major exercise to change. (gotta pull the carrier to even see it....) Be careful when you put it back together, to NOT trash the seal.[/QUOTE

i was hoping that was the case! I have it setting in my shop now, i figured i would relax for the night, and read a little more. I remember hearing something about the ring and gear if i did the drivers side? Maybe that was a dream LOL standby for confirmation... or for me to come back with a torn apart dana 44

Quick Reply: Drivers side axle shaft U-Joint?