2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

turn key backwards radio works turn it forward nothing works

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 04:41 PM
steveonmars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn key backwards radio works turn it forward nothing works

Hi,

I have a 1994 ram 1500 with a 5.2 V8. I just bought it a month ago. I drove it Tuesday with no issues. Tried to start it yesterday and nothing lights up or works when I turn the key to start. If I turn the key backwards the radio comes on but I have to turn the key all the way forward to get the radio to turn off and then nothing works again when I turn the key forward again. I changed the ignition switch today and that didn't help. I tried to install the new key cylinder I also bought but the lock pin is missing that locks it in the ignition switch and the cylinder won't lock in place so I need to take it back.

I just want to find out if I'm even doing the right thing. I can't find anything obvious like relays or fuses, loose or melted wires or anything like that. It can't be the starter because the radio and dash lights don't come on when I turn the key. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve

Old 11-29-2018, 04:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,282 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Sure sounds like a bad ignition switch...... Maybe try swapping it out, again.... Wouldn't be the first time I got a bad part, right out of the box.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:06 PM
steveonmars

At $36 I don't know i they'll just exchange it, especially being an electrical part. I'd hate to spend another $36 just to find out it's something else.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:08 PM
steveonmars

I also can't put the truck in gear no matter where the key is turned and the steering wheel isn't locked. I don't know if that helps or not.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:00 PM
steveonmars

I took another look at the old lock cylinder and saw that it's broken on the end. The new cylinder I bought today doesn't have the locking pin that holds it in the ignition switch. The old cylinder has a hole that goes all the way through the outer cylinder so the pin can ride on the inner cylinder and move up and down. The new cylinder doesn't have a pin and the hole doesn't go all the way through to the inner cylinder. I'm guessing this is a bad part and I'll take it back for another one in the morning.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,282 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Doesn't the lock pin screw in thru the column once the lock cylinder is installed? I am not real familiar with how dodge does those, worked on chevys though......

Old 11-30-2018, 07:11 AM
steveonmars

The cylinder came with the plate and screw but there's nowhere to install the screw on this one that I can find. The old cylinder has a pin in the cylinder itself that you need to push down to remove the cylinder from the ignition switch. The pin also rides up and down on the inner part of the cylinder when you turn the key. I'll try to send pictures when I get to my shop.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:24 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 366 Likes on 344 Posts

Are you sure you have the correct lock cylinder? the design changed in 97 or 98, The plate and screw hold the cylinder in place. Biggest problem i had was the steering wheel lock, It was a pain to get everything lined up. Here is a video that may help...

Quick Reply: turn key backwards radio works turn it forward nothing works