2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vibration only in 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 09:07 AM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I would try driving with just the front driveshaft to see if the problem goes away, if not then pull the front out and drive it with just the rear.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:53 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by 00t444e
I would try driving with just the front driveshaft to see if the problem goes away, if not then pull the front out and drive it with just the rear.
See I thought about doing just the front an engage 4wd that would tell me if it's the driveshaft

Old 04-17-2019, 07:04 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Default Fixed

It was a completely separated transmission mount

Old 02-19-2020, 05:13 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Default Update

Was not the transmission mount. Been fighting this vibration for almost a year. I thought I might need a transfer case index ring but after some angle measurements I don't. So I hooked up my sensors (they detect vibrations and sounds) all over the front end. Since I have a bad and loud passenger axle u joint, it kept saying it was that I(tac welded in lol). I know it wasn't so I installed a new mod. It's the latest and greatest thing...A BLUETOOTH FRONT DRIVESHAFT. I deemed it had to be the front driveshaft either a missing weight or bad u joint (even though they were replace a year ago with Dana ones).

Well while I went under there I noticed my front pinion yolk seal is leaking and I have some seepage from the transmission pan.

So starting taking it off (since I have a permanently locked front axle it was a chore. Take one bolt out, craw out from under the truck engage 2wd, spin the driveshaft until you can get a socket on, crawl out, engage 4wd, repeat 4 times) and the front u joint was stuck like normal. Pryed it off with a screwdriver, and the one cap on the front u joint fell off. Looked dry, even though there was grease in the u joint itself, and the needle bearings had pitting on them and a rust ring on the trunnions (right above my fingernail) the brown color is a LIGHT coat of grease. The needle bearings are to clean to, I didn't even have to wipe them off. The bearing in the double cardan CV ball looks dry and the boot is ripped.

I also noticed some play in the front transfer case yolk, I took a video but it might be normal. Pinion is tight as can be. I will update once I take it for a spin tonight. I think it is the front driveshaft u joints as it didn't look like any weights were thrown off. I wonder if the angle on the driveshaft was to much and was binding, causing pressure on the pinion yolk and thus the seal stretching.

Don't over look the simple things guys, even though the u joints are new and look new, they could still be bad. I think Ramman recommended this to. But the weather was nice (34° no snow or wind which is nice for PA) so I decided to do it.

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 02-19-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:35 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Default Final Update!

No vibrations up to 110, even with unbalanced tires! @Ramman18 you were right! Lol. Love this community! Also engaged 4WD no vibrations either so my T-case may be fine yet!

Now onto designing and installing my company's death wobble cure. Questions for you guys. Would you like a kit that you have to drill the knuckles out? I back everything with a lifetime guarantee (even if you aren't the original owner). If anybody has anything they want let me know. I'm tired of death wobble. I plan on selling it as a kit. You will get the tie rod, drag link, and 3rd gen conversion track bar (made to your length) that can be adjusted on the vehicle.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

If you can sell the conversion trackbars and brackets for a reasonable price, there is indeed a market out there for them. Trouble is, liability....... One of the reasons most of the kits are hideously expensive......

Old 02-19-2020, 09:24 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you can sell the conversion trackbars and brackets for a reasonable price, there is indeed a market out there for them. Trouble is, liability....... One of the reasons most of the kits are hideously expensive......
Only way I would be reliable is if it breaks and I chose quality over quantity

Quick Reply: Vibration only in 4wd