2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd gen performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 12:24 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugly1
How was your York setup a hassle for you?

The Yorks output varies based on rotational speed. Within rotational speed limit of 6k, more rotational speed increases output. At max RPM's of 6k at it would be putting out over 10CFM at working load. All you have to do to pump up output is increase rotational speed. My custom pulley will allow for more air capacity than I'll ever use. I probably wouldn't even need the 3 gallon tank I ordered. With the Kilby overdrive pulley tests show you can expect around 3.2cfm at idle. My custom pulley should double that and then some, at 6.31" in diameter, and mine will have the benefit of not over driving the alternatorsince I'm using an oem serpentine pulley.

Per my research there isn't an electric, piston driven pump system that can hold a candle to those numbers at load. Even the dual piston ARB would never keep up with those numbers. They all have greatly reduced output at higher pressure you'd be running air tools at.

For example the high output ExtremeAire is only rated for 1,5cfm at 90psi. That won't run any air tools without a huge storage tank and waiting around all the time to refill it. The York keeps on putting out whatever it puts out, right up to working load limit.

Then there is the heat problem. Electric motors hate heat. Since I plan to mount my pump under the hood where it will get heat soaked by the engine, I didn't want to spend over $500 for the ARB, have reduced output capacity and system life compared with a properly designed engine driven system.

The biggest downside to engine driven system in my opinion is that I'm going to be forced to install the coelescing oil collection filter and oil return system and the fact you have to be careful about max rpm's These trade-offs seem worth it to me for the extra air capacity and longer system life expectancy.
Extreme Air makes a belt driven compressor that outperforms the York (plus to oil which means no oil separator). At idle speed the EA outperforms the York. The high you go it makes the York seem like a Auto Zone 12V pump. It was just a hassle lining it up getting a pulled for the AC pump an then finding the right size belt. I don't know how yours is going to be setup (explain?) But the Extreme Air fills my 40s up from 12 psi to 50 in record time the York did it quick to but not as far as the EA. I now only recommend the EA to my customers for a belt driven on board air. But everyone likes what they like, that is what makes the world fun and interesting.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:25 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting. I hadn't seen the engine driven extreme aires. They do look nice but appear to be equivalent to the yorks, ie screw pump on its side. Do they sell mounting brackets?

But higher performance? the extreme aires claim an output of 8cfm. 8 cfm is perfectly within the york capabilities and i could have designed my system to put out 8, 9, even 10 cfm at idle by selecting the appropriate pulley sizes, so performance is relative to how the system is set up. By that metric, since it is possible to set up the york to put out over 8 cfm how can one claim the extreme air were is higher performance?

I just figured what is the point of going higher? I can run just about any tool imaginable at the pressures i plan to run, 120-150psi, at 6-7cfm. And running slower rotational speed yields longer pump life expectancy.

im just planning to run mine as others are...driven off a belt powered by a custom alternator pulley that has a v groove pulley grafted onto it.

your statement about your york system fizzling out at high pressires like an electric pump is puzzling. It makes me wonder what was wrong as that isn't how screw pumps are supposed to work...not that im some kind of expert. As i understand it, in a properly designed system, with appropriate pressure regulator, can be expected to to deliver essentially constant volume up to working pressures.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:32 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wca_tim
yeah... I was thinking more like spending $100 or less on the on-board air setup (probably only need buy the compressor)... then simply bolting a v-belt pulley right where the fan bolts on now and making a mount for the compressor that would line up and include belt tension adjustment... Note that I have all sorts of pieces, parts, piping, fittings, steel and aluminum stock, lathe, mill, welders, etc... a spare pressure switch / controller and an extra 5 gal tank to mount underneath, then plumb for air fittings inside the rear doors.

Interesting re ls1 camaro electric fan... I may even have one from my C5 laying around... if not, I know where I can get one easily...
if you have everything but the pump and can make your own mounting brackets you are set. You can pick up old compressors at the junkyard for like 20 bucks. I think old fords, volvos, and some amc's have yorks of varying vintage. I just bought a new one because im too lazy to go roll in the mud and pull one off.

Quick Reply: 2nd gen performance