2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 11:19 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with an SCT. The Superchips and Hypertech programmers only provide very minimal gains. I have a Hypertech on my truck, and other than being able to adjust tire size, it's not worth it. Had the SCT been out when I bought the Hypertech I'd have gone with it.
​​​​​​
From what I've read, I'd get Marty Fletcher or Flyin Ryan Performance to tune it. Hemifever doesn't get very good feedback on the Facebook groups.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:06 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Go with an SCT. The Superchips and Hypertech programmers only provide very minimal gains. I have a Hypertech on my truck, and other than being able to adjust tire size, it's not worth it. Had the SCT been out when I bought the Hypertech I'd have gone with it.
​​​​​​
From what I've read, I'd get Marty Fletcher or Flyin Ryan Performance to tune it. Hemifever doesn't get very good feedback on the Facebook groups.
Does the SCT adjust your tire size and gear ratio?

Old 12-25-2018, 09:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Does the SCT adjust your tire size and gear ratio?
Last I heard, no, they don't. That was one of the major complaints about them.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:44 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Last I heard, no, they don't. That was one of the major complaints about them.
Ahh so it looks like Hypertech is the one I'm buying.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Hypertech only tweaks fuel and ignition in the higher RPM ranges. In daily driving, I doubt you will notice any difference at all. (according to what I have read.)

Granted, buying a scan tool JUST so you can adjust for tire size seems a bit excessive.... rumor has it though, that most tire stores can do that for you as well. So, check with you local tire shops, and if they can, get a tuner that actually helps.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:45 PM
Tamuiel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the Superchips yesterday. Worth a try. It was My Christmas present to myself! Will post after i see what it does...thanks Dodge guys. Loving my conversion from gm guy. Although i still own a Cadi!

Old 12-25-2018, 07:57 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Hypertech only tweaks fuel and ignition in the higher RPM ranges. In daily driving, I doubt you will notice any difference at all. (according to what I have read.)

Granted, buying a scan tool JUST so you can adjust for tire size seems a bit excessive.... rumor has it though, that most tire stores can do that for you as well. So, check with you local tire shops, and if they can, get a tuner that actually helps.
I thought my Autel could do it but I can't find it. For $100 it's not bad as I have to regear to. I can't use anything until I swap in the 01 working and use the rear diff sensor instead of the grea driven one. Plus not going to spend a lot on the 360 because it is getting the 5.7 and a 408... Stay tuned

Old 12-25-2018, 09:38 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tamuiel
I ordered the Superchips yesterday. Worth a try. It was My Christmas present to myself! Will post after i see what it does...thanks Dodge guys. Loving my conversion from gm guy. Although i still own a Cadi!
Ehh, enough people used them to know that it's not really worth a try, and it's definitely not worth the money. However, it's your money, so feel free to throw it away how you please.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:06 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's the issue with the older models..... less options with the tuners because of the older computer systems in the vehicles.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:51 AM
Tamuiel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed 87 tune. Woke up this 5.9 liter. Didnt turn it in to a race car. But helped alot!! I only took a short drive, but big difference from take off. Also shifts later into overdrive. So it was well worth it. Will see how top end is later today. It also checks and clears codes and adjusts speedo for the 20 inch wheels. I have confirmed that. It was off by 5. Not now.

Quick Reply: Tuner