2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can this be caused by the timing chain jumping teeth? 98 V10

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 09:08 PM
Sven98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can this be caused by the timing chain jumping teeth? 98 V10

I have a ‘98 2500 V10 5-spd truck with 130,000 miles. It sat for several years and I got it back on the road with new fluids and after about 150 miles it died when pulling away from a stop (maybe with a backfire) and then ran terrible and would not idle. It threw a code (p0122 I think), it was low voltage from the TPS. I changed the TPS and it still ran bad so I parked it and got a different truck running instead.

Now 4 years later I’m finally trying to get it running again. Started by testing the TPS. Supply voltage is good and signal voltage is 0.6 at idle position and 3.6 at WOT and all wiring tested good. I also cleaned a bunch of grounds.

I gave up and took it to the dealer and the mechanic listened to it and said it has a dead hole without troubleshooting anything and charged me $115, ha thanks. I thought there is no way one bad cylinder would make it run that bad. Turns out we were both right.

I brought it home and did a compression test with results as follows:

1-75
3-140
5-140
7-145
9-80

2-0
4-145
6-145
8-140
10-140

So the front cylinder of the passenger side bank and the front and rear cylinder of the driver side have bad compression. Since this happened suddenly and the location of the bad cylinders it seems to rule out head gasket problems. Could a timing chain that has jumped a few teeth possibly cause this? Since there is no distributor is there some way to check the chain other than pulling the cover off and looking at the marks on the sprockets? Is there anything else that might cause this?

Thank you for any and all help

Sven

Old 12-26-2018, 01:33 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

It's anybody's guess, could be any number of things. The engine only has one camshaft, so if the timing is off it would affect all cylinders in a similar fashion. I wouldn't worry about the 75/80 psi cylinders (yet), the 0 is cylinder is worrisome. Typically that would indicate valves stuck open/closed or a hole in the piston. Maybe double check. It's possible that the timing chain skipped and only some cylinders ended up with bent valves/pushrods but then it's running again (albeit badly) now and doesn't get worse. Which brings me to the last point, the truck died but now runs again so together with the P0122 there could be some electrical issue too. The coil packs take out two cylinders together.
I'd look into the cylinders (there are cheap borescopes on Amazon and HF has one for about $50 with 20% off coupon). If no damage found there take off the valve covers and check valve train. Then take off timing cover.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:57 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

Do a leak down test and see where the air is escaping.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

One dead cylinder, and two weak cylinders. That is not a timing chain issue.

Leak down test will tell you where it's going. (as said above.) This would be the next step.

Quick Reply: Can this be caused by the timing chain jumping teeth? 98 V10