2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 dodge ram x cab w/5.9 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 08:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Lets hope that's the end of it.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:56 PM
BamBam1955
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the truck but it's getting older I know it'll have more quirky **** happen thank god for your forum you guys are great i'm 64 yrs old and have worked on cars and trucks all my life but some of the terms and this new computer bull---- is for the birds LOL my67 camaro had points condenser and the fuel pump on the side of the motor (mechanical) and you could crawl right into the engine compartment LOL but it's good to know u guys are out there helping people like me that can fix things as long as we can zero in to the problem THANKS AGAIN BRIAN

Old 05-02-2019, 09:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by BamBam1955
I love the truck but it's getting older I know it'll have more quirky **** happen thank god for your forum you guys are great i'm 64 yrs old and have worked on cars and trucks all my life but some of the terms and this new computer bull---- is for the birds LOL my67 camaro had points condenser and the fuel pump on the side of the motor (mechanical) and you could crawl right into the engine compartment LOL but it's good to know u guys are out there helping people like me that can fix things as long as we can zero in to the problem THANKS AGAIN BRIAN
Happy to be of service. Been a LONG time since I have seen points on a car..... (on my tractors, I visit those every year......) I remember those days fondly. I didn't need a computer engineering degree to work on 'em. Those days are gone, and it's only getting worse. I think ONE dodge truck now has more compuring power than NASA ever did, for several decades during the heyday of the space program...... I mean, even the frigging TURN SIGNALS now go thru a computer......

Old 05-02-2019, 10:51 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Happy to be of service. Been a LONG time since I have seen points on a car..... (on my tractors, I visit those every year......) I remember those days fondly. I didn't need a computer engineering degree to work on 'em. Those days are gone, and it's only getting worse. I think ONE dodge truck now has more compuring power than NASA ever did, for several decades during the heyday of the space program...... I mean, even the frigging TURN SIGNALS now go thru a computer......
I have done points lol our 2nd gens are a cake walk compared to working on the newer trucks (I've done it already). Points were very unreliable though in my opinion

Old 05-03-2019, 11:01 AM
BamBam1955

well the thing I liked about points and a carburetor was---- if it didn't start dump a little gas it the carb. if it started you had a bad filter or fuel pump if it still didn't start check the spark still an easy fix------------ today however with the computers and all the sensors it's not so easy to find out what the problem is------ still again thanks for the help Brian

Old 05-03-2019, 05:51 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

well the thing I liked about points and a carburetor was---- if it didn't start dump a little gas it the carb. if it started you had a bad filter or fuel pump if it still didn't start check the spark still an easy fix------------ today however with the computers and all the sensors it's not so easy to find out what the problem is------ still again thanks for the help Brian
It is a little more work but I like that fact I can get in and start it. Instead of pumping the gas

Old 05-03-2019, 06:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
It is a little more work but I like that fact I can get in and start it. Instead of pumping the gas
Lazy.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:38 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Lazy.
That and the bump in power

Old 08-24-2019, 10:26 PM
BamBam1955
Default running problems again 95 ram w/5.9

I was going down the road, the tach. dropped off and the truck died tried again and again to start it but all it did was crank w/ no fire put a new coil and it started and it died again, A.A.A. flatbedded it home I put in a new T.P.S. started but down the road died again put in a new crank sensor so I have put in so far p/u coil, T.P.S. IGN. COIL, AND CRANK SENSOR started it tach. went up just under 1000 rpm then dropped down to 1st mark up from 0, decided to adjust the idle can't find out a way to adjust it so I took an adjustable clamped it to the throttle bracket and bent it to pick up the idle it came up to just over 1000 rpm but when you put it in gear it surges up and down from the mark above 0 to 1000 rpm up and down any ideas my friends THANKS AS ALWAYS BRIAN ALSO bent it back some and brought the idle down but still drops below 1/2 way down and wants to cut out when put in gear

Last edited by BamBam1955; 08-24-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:38 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I was going down the road, the tach. dropped off and the truck died tried again and again to start it but all it did was crank w/ no fire put a new coil and it started and it died again, A.A.A. flatbedded it home I put in a new T.P.S. started but down the road died again put in a new crank sensor so I have put in so far p/u coil, T.P.S. IGN. COIL, AND CRANK SENSOR started it tach. went up just under 1000 rpm then dropped down to 1st mark up from 0, decided to adjust the idle can't find out a way to adjust it so I took an adjustable clamped it to the throttle bracket and bent it to pick up the idle it came up to just over 1000 rpm but when you put it in gear it surges up and down from the mark above 0 to 1000 rpm up and down any ideas my friends THANKS AS ALWAYS BRIAN ALSO bent it back some and brought the idle down but still drops below 1/2 way down and wants to cut out when put in gear
Need a special tool to adjust idle. What brand sensors? How old is the front 02 sensor?

Quick Reply: 95 dodge ram x cab w/5.9 starting problems