2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark & fuel / No start

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 04:48 PM
Skoley1993
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark & fuel / No start

Hi everyone. Looked everywhere I could for a similar issue and couldn't find any. Will leave a To Long Didn't Read (TLDR) at the bottom for anyone who doesn't want the long winded story.
Anyway...
99 Ram 1500 5.2 Laramie is the truck. Went to start my truck last night to go out for the night and wile it was idling it died on me. Idle was rough but I have had a intermittent rough/low idle since I bought it and never thought anything of it. Never stalled before even wile being left unattended warming up in the AM. Vehicle has not restarted since but will crank. Their is spark and we can hear the fuel pump running / the smell of gas is noticeable wile attempting to start so we reasonably assume it's moving fuel properly. We have changed the IAC valve out and have changed the ADS relay as well. We attempted to start the vehicle with starter fluid with no luck. Check engine light does not come on when key is turned to "on" position. Check engine will only come on when it's attempting to fire but after it's cranking for a bit that also goes away. Any suggestions will be appreciated as we are at a loss except for a few other ideas read about online

TLDR: has spark, appears to have fuel. Turns over and only check engine light is wile cranking. Changed ADS relay and IAC valve.
​​​

Old 12-29-2018, 09:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Stomp the gas pedal to the floor, and hold it there, crank the engine. Does it try and start?

Old 12-30-2018, 02:29 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

The IAC has to be a Mopar unit. What color was the spark?

Old 12-31-2018, 12:31 AM
Skoley1993
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi we actually got it running today. Idk how or why but apparently the ignition coil was bad. Old mechanic I know came over and said the spark coming from the plug looked "dull". He advised me to buy a new ignition coil and it fired up immediately upon replacement.

Quick Reply: Spark & fuel / No start