2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 ram 1500 4x4 5.2 just died now no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 10:33 PM
Oddone43
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 95 ram 1500 4x4 5.2 just died now no start

was driving along when without warning truck started coughing and backfiring then just died in the road it tried a few time to go but didn't had it towed home (luckily only like a mile) a friend tol me how to pull codes and i am getting 12,32,32 the 12 i can understand as i recently replaced battery terminals, the 32 is egr system failure not sure if that would cause it or not engine light been on since i bought the truck 5 months ago and since it does not have to go through emissions here due to age i didn't think much of it as truck has always ran great. I am not sure what is going on. i have fuel and can hear pump run but it just cranks. i pulled a plug wire and tried using screw driver to check for spark but not sure if manifold surface rust is just not letting it show. I can't afford a shop so trying to do it on my own i do know my way around a vehicle fairly well just not good with technical terms or computer stuff

Old 12-30-2018, 04:59 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

What year is your truck? Pull the plug and use it to check the spark. Wild guess is that your crank sensor failed.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:38 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

12 Battery or computer recently disconnected
32 EGR Solenoid circuit " Short or open in the EGR solenoid circuit. Check for loose, broken, or shorted wire in the EGR valve wiring and connectors. Possible air fuel ratio imbalance not detected during diagnosis."

http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

Old 12-30-2018, 10:22 AM
Oddone43
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
What year is your truck? Pull the plug and use it to check the spark. Wild guess is that your crank sensor failed.
as stated it's a 95 was running great no indication of issue then all of a sudden just started coughing and backfired out the exhaust several times then stalled

Old 12-30-2018, 10:42 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Oh yeah, year was on the title. Sorry, my bad.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Need to see whats missing. I would check for spark first.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:57 PM
Oddone43
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Need to see whats missing. I would check for spark first.
i did check for spark at the fits wire on passenger side with screwdriver against manifold but battery got low from cranking so charging battery and gonna try again my mechanic that does my major stuff is leaning toward crank sensor. i'm just hoping its not cause its a pain in the rear to do.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddone43
i did check for spark at the fits wire on passenger side with screwdriver against manifold but battery got low from cranking so charging battery and gonna try again my mechanic that does my major stuff is leaning toward crank sensor. i'm just hoping its not cause its a pain in the rear to do.
Ain't that the truth...... Need you arm with three elbows......

Old 12-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Oddone43
Amateur

I'm suspecting crank sensor at this point charged battery check fuses and still just cranks but won't start. And living in a kinda rural area with no back up vehicle sucks.
It just doesn't make sense to me was running great then like 2 miles from the house it started coughing and backfired out the exhaust before it just stopped no warning no indication of issue at all.and only codes I was getting is battery (12) and egr(35) twice even though only one get valve another friend said when his did this it was the map sensor? Could that be why it's giving egr code?

Old 01-03-2019, 07:48 PM
Oddone43
Amateur

well attempted the crank sensor tonight and got one bolt out however got the other one to turn a little but now can't get the stupid allen wrench back in it to get it to turn more to point that it's finger loose it is the bolt on the right side if your looking at front of truck, any suggestions on how in the world to do that? i find the trans dipstick tube and egr tube seem to be right in the way is there a way to do it with out taking those off? i know the egr tube bolts are rusted and most likely gonna break so rather not mess with them

Quick Reply: 95 ram 1500 4x4 5.2 just died now no start