2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0443 Purge Solenoid Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 02:08 PM
ThomasF
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default P0443 Purge Solenoid Circuit

2000 Ram 5.9 Magnum

Have replaced solenoid. Diagnosing the connector, I am getting 12v from the Ign wire to ground with key on, and getting 6-8v from the Solenoid Control Wire to ground. Continuity is good from the Solenoid Control wire to pin 20 in the ECM plug. Confirmed good connections at the solenoid by disassembling the connector and manually placing the female onto the male pins of the solenoid.

Not real sure what else to try at this point and unsure what I am suppose to be seeing voltage wise from the computer to the solenoid.

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2019, 02:31 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasF
2000 Ram 5.9 Magnum

Have replaced solenoid. Diagnosing the connector, I am getting 12v from the Ign wire to ground with key on, and getting 6-8v from the Solenoid Control Wire to ground. Continuity is good from the Solenoid Control wire to pin 20 in the ECM plug. Confirmed good connections at the solenoid by disassembling the connector and manually placing the female onto the male pins of the solenoid.

Not real sure what else to try at this point and unsure what I am suppose to be seeing voltage wise from the computer to the solenoid.

Thanks!
I had this same code that can up twice on one trip. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and it never came back. Did you check the lines going to it?

Old 01-03-2019, 02:53 PM
ThomasF

Thanks for your comment.

I have inspected everything and it seems to all be fine.

The code does not indicate a leak but rather a circuit malfunction. Open or shorted to ground.

I suspect a questionable ground or bad splice somewhere.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:13 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasF
Thanks for your comment.

I have inspected everything and it seems to all be fine.

The code does not indicate a leak but rather a circuit malfunction. Open or shorted to ground.

I suspect a questionable ground or bad splice somewhere.
It could be. Download your service manual from the FAQ section wiring diagrams are in section 8W

Old 02-24-2019, 04:21 PM
ThomasF

Still dealing with this code.

I tested and confirmed the solenoid is good.

Confirmed 12v+ on the blue wire.
Confirmed continuity on the pink wire to pin 20 on the connector.

I believe I have a failed driver in the PCM. I used an advanced scanner to manually open and close the solenoid through the computer and it doesn't respond to the computer commands.

One question though, can a PCM driver be intermittent? At times, the valve will work for just a few moments. I have confirmed this on multiple occasions but it will never stay working. This led me to believe there was a short in the PCM signal wire but continuity and tracing says otherwise.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Yeah, that's a failing trace on the PCM circuit board. Time for a new one.

Quick Reply: P0443 Purge Solenoid Circuit