2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum gasket question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 05:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewsteven89
Im gonna look down the throttle body when I get home from work and see if I can see any oil in the bottom of it. I was basically just curious if anyone had the same issue, or if the plenum would actually cause it to smoke. I know the dodges are notorious for the plenum leaking, just curious if that would cause it to smoke... lol. It did show all the signs of it being bad i.e oil consumption, vacuum issues under heavy acceleration. Lol
Vacuum issues under heavy acceleration is normal even when everything is working as it should....

My 96 was REALLY thirsty when it came to oil. I would eat a quart about every 100 miles or so. (yeah, THAT bad.) So, I didn't the plenum, and a mopar pcv valve. Oil consumption dropped to a quart every 150 miles or so..... The engine would blow a little smoke at startup, and then clear up. It would get REALLY foggy if I was on the gas hard.... but, with normal driving, no smoke. (which REALLY surprised me....) It did not leave puddles anywhere, no obvious major leaks..... Compression test on a couple cylinders was really depressing though, so, I stopped doing it.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:46 PM
Matthewsteven89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Vacuum issues under heavy acceleration is normal even when everything is working as it should....

My 96 was REALLY thirsty when it came to oil. I would eat a quart about every 100 miles or so. (yeah, THAT bad.) So, I didn't the plenum, and a mopar pcv valve. Oil consumption dropped to a quart every 150 miles or so..... The engine would blow a little smoke at startup, and then clear up. It would get REALLY foggy if I was on the gas hard.... but, with normal driving, no smoke. (which REALLY surprised me....) It did not leave puddles anywhere, no obvious major leaks..... Compression test on a couple cylinders was really depressing though, so, I stopped doing it.

finally a response I can relate to!! Lol. Yeah that's how mine is, under light driving it really isnt that noticable, but when you drop the hammer theres a cloud behind you. And like I said it's still super strong, no noticable puddles either except for a small transmission leak. Around the time I started having all the other issues like the 02 sensor And the vacuum issues is about the time I noticed the smoke. Shortly after that I bought my 05 silverado and retired the ol girl from the daily driving. But this is the truck I learned to drive in, so I want to slowly get her back going like new. I will eventually change the engine or rebuild it in the future. I just hate seeing it sitting there right now.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:39 PM
Matthewsteven89

Okay, so I have a stupid, but funny question, and I'm preeeeety sure I know what the answer is, but I want to ask you guys...

here goes... what is the acceptable/if any, amount of oil inside an intake looking down through the throttle blades?? Lol 😂

Old 02-26-2019, 11:04 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

If you scroll to the top, there is a "end all be all plenum thread" stickied to the top. Lots of info there. I think a little oil is normal, but a big puddle isn't. It's easier to see if you remove the throttle body. Then you can clean the IAC port while it's off. I'd be really surprised if you didn't need the gasket.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:12 PM
Matthewsteven89

Well the truck hasnt been on the road in over 2 years and it's still wet inside the intake. And caked up oil all along the sides and up, even caked oil on the back side of the throttle blades...

Old 02-27-2019, 10:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, that's bad.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:23 AM
Matthewsteven89

So do you think my plenum is bad and is the problem?? Lmao 😂😂

Old 02-27-2019, 10:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Matthewsteven89
So do you think my plenum is bad and is the problem?? Lmao 😂😂
Your plenum is quite likely bad, however, I do not think it is going to be the WHOLE problem...... Just too many miles on it.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:51 AM
Matthewsteven89

Maybe. But maybe not. When I pulled the heads a few years back everything still looked new in the cylinders. Plus ive got a chevy with 218,000 miles and no problems. Wishful thinking possibly, but not trying to kill my hope just yet.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Do the compression test. That will tell the tale. Or even better, cylinder leakdown test. That will tell you WHERE compression is going.

Quick Reply: Plenum gasket question...