2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 06:16 AM
Podge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Headlight Issue

Hi everyone,
I have a 2002 3500 4x4 utility service truck over here in England, so I'm a bit on my own as it's a fairly unusual truck.
All the lights work fine except the High beam headlights.
The sidelights, low beam dipped headlights are all great but there are no high beam lights, in fact when you pull the lever, the headlights go out.
I have just replaced the entire dip beam switch/wiper/indicator stalk on the steering column with a brand new one - no change, main high beam still does not work.
Thoughts ?

Old 03-01-2019, 09:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

2 or 4 bulb system?

Old 03-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Podge

Originally Posted by HeyYou
2 or 4 bulb system?
It just has the 2 bulb system - one bulb in each main headlight unit.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Both bulbs get power from the same source, so, you do indeed have power at the bulbs. Headlamp switch just provides ground path.... which is also working. That just leaves the multi-function switch...... either that, or both high beam bulbs are burnt out.....

Old 03-01-2019, 11:32 AM
Podge

The multi function switch is brand new as of yesterday, unboxed and fitted.
The bulbs 'look' okay but that's not to say they are.
I'll pull them and check them over.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:02 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Podge
Hi everyone,
I have a 2002 3500 4x4 utility service truck over here in England, so I'm a bit on my own as it's a fairly unusual truck.
All the lights work fine except the High beam headlights.
The sidelights, low beam dipped headlights are all great but there are no high beam lights, in fact when you pull the lever, the headlights go out.
I have just replaced the entire dip beam switch/wiper/indicator stalk on the steering column with a brand new one - no change, main high beam still does not work.
Thoughts ?
​​​​​​ Both build must be out, or your new multi-functional switch is bad

Old 03-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Podge

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
​​​​​​ Both build must be out, or your new multi-functional switch is bad
I stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the original, still no joy so ordered a new one from the States (took about 10 days to arrive) and still no better.
I hope it's not a break in the wiring loom....

Old 03-01-2019, 12:32 PM
ranger140892
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Podge
I stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the original, still no joy so ordered a new one from the States (took about 10 days to arrive) and still no better.
I hope it's not a break in the wiring loom....
You may not want to go this route. Neither did I at first, but I'm so glad I did. My sport had headlight issues (not counting the deliberate built in issues). I fought it a bit, then decided to rewire the entire headlight harness myself. It's pretty simple actually. I used the ground and low beam wires from the 9007 plug on driver side to activate my low beam relay. The high beam relay is triggered by a foot dimmer switch that is tied into the output wire on the low beam relay. I love foot dimmers!

Both relays pull power straight from the battery. On Low beam, I have all four bulbs burning the low beam filaments. On High beam, I have all eight filaments burning. Much better lighting.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by ranger140892
You may not want to go this route. Neither did I at first, but I'm so glad I did. My sport had headlight issues (not counting the deliberate built in issues). I fought it a bit, then decided to rewire the entire headlight harness myself. It's pretty simple actually. I used the ground and low beam wires from the 9007 plug on driver side to activate my low beam relay. The high beam relay is triggered by a foot dimmer switch that is tied into the output wire on the low beam relay. I love foot dimmers!

Both relays pull power straight from the battery. On Low beam, I have all four bulbs burning the low beam filaments. On High beam, I have all eight filaments burning. Much better lighting.
LMC Truck, and others.... make a plug and play harness to do exactly what you are doing here. I think it took me all of ten minutes to install it. Now, the headlight/dimmer switch just operate relays, no major draw on the headlight switch, which is a good thing..... and the headlights are brighter.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:13 PM
ranger140892
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
LMC Truck, and others.... make a plug and play harness to do exactly what you are doing here. I think it took me all of ten minutes to install it. Now, the headlight/dimmer switch just operate relays, no major draw on the headlight switch, which is a good thing..... and the headlights are brighter.
Yep, The LMC kit is nice. I've used it on my dentside Fords and Jeeps. However, for the Sport headlights, it didn't do all I wanted it to do. It doesn't make all four bulbs light up on low beam, which was my main desire. Compared to my dentsides and jeeps, the stock second gen Ram headlights are like 1948 Rayovac flashlights.

Quick Reply: 2002 Headlight Issue