What's this Connector? - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

What's this Connector?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What's this Connector?

  #1  
Old 03-12-2019, 08:07 PM
98RaMV10
98RaMV10 is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Default What's this Connector?

Anyone know what the connector is that is part of the positive cable from the starter to battery? My cable is pretty beat up and want to replace it but dont want to spend 150$ for a new one with that connector.
 
  #2  
Old 03-12-2019, 08:30 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,990
Default

Originally Posted by 98RaMV10 View Post
Anyone know what the connector is that is part of the positive cable from the starter to battery? My cable is pretty beat up and want to replace it but dont want to spend 150$ for a new one with that connector.
that's for the battery temp sensor I think what year is your truck? I can look it up
 
  #3  
Old 03-12-2019, 08:47 PM
98RaMV10
98RaMV10 is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Default

It's a 97 dodge 1500
 
  #4  
Old 03-12-2019, 09:36 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,990
Default

Originally Posted by 98RaMV10 View Post
It's a 97 dodge 1500
that's battery temp sensor and I found one cheaper on eBay
 
  #5  
Old 03-12-2019, 11:13 PM
98RaMV10
98RaMV10 is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Default

Care to share the link? Also, when I bought my truck years ago the guy had a new cable that came with it but that connector is different on the new one. Can I just cut the old one off and splice it in or just eliminate it all together and just run a $10 cable from battery down to starter?
 
  #6  
Old 03-13-2019, 02:21 AM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,990
Default

Originally Posted by 98RaMV10 View Post
Care to share the link? Also, when I bought my truck years ago the guy had a new cable that came with it but that connector is different on the new one. Can I just cut the old one off and splice it in or just eliminate it all together and just run a $10 cable from battery down to starter?
got could eliminate it but might set a light on in the dash. You can cut and splice it. Let me find that link again for you. If your don't mind me asking what's wrong with yours?
 
  #7  
Old 03-13-2019, 03:58 AM
HeikIlm
HeikIlm is offline
Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 270
Default

That connector is to activate the starter solenoid. Look closely to the starter end of the cable, there's a black wire with ring terminal, which comes up to the connector.
I re-used that wire when I made new battery cables for my truck.
 

Last edited by HeikIlm; 03-13-2019 at 04:15 AM.
  #8  
Old 03-13-2019, 05:32 AM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,990
Default

Originally Posted by HeikIlm View Post
That connector is to activate the starter solenoid. Look closely to the starter end of the cable, there's a black wire with ring terminal, which comes up to the connector.
I re-used that wire when I made new battery cables for my truck.
Good to know! I was going off the pictures in the fsm
 
  #9  
Old 03-13-2019, 11:58 AM
98RaMV10
98RaMV10 is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by HeikIlm View Post
That connector is to activate the starter solenoid. Look closely to the starter end of the cable, there's a black wire with ring terminal, which comes up to the connector.
I re-used that wire when I made new battery cables for my truck.
Ok thanks, I'll reuse that then and just replace the cable
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's this Connector?


Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: