2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 02:28 PM
Everett45
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Adjustment

Hey guys, I recently looked into fixing the sloppy steering (2" at the wheel) in my 2001 1500. I found out about the adjustments you can perform and decided to give them a try. The sector shaft adjustment with the locknut and hex key stud seemed to help a little bit, and I found the point at which the steering became a little too tight and backed it off. I then tried to do the bearing preload. I got the pinch bolt out of the steering shaft, and slid the shaft out of the way, but not completely off the spline. I soaked the big locknut in WD and took a punch and hammer to it from below the truck. The thing wouldn't budge, and I was getting some decent force on the punch. Am I missing something? The whole steering box is damp with oil so it's not like it rusted shut. Maybe I just need to try again with a bigger hammer.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:39 PM
99DR
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Everett45
Hey guys, I recently looked into fixing the sloppy steering (2" at the wheel) in my 2001 1500. I found out about the adjustments you can perform and decided to give them a try. The sector shaft adjustment with the locknut and hex key stud seemed to help a little bit, and I found the point at which the steering became a little too tight and backed it off. I then tried to do the bearing preload. I got the pinch bolt out of the steering shaft, and slid the shaft out of the way, but not completely off the spline. I soaked the big locknut in WD and took a punch and hammer to it from below the truck. The thing wouldn't budge, and I was getting some decent force on the punch. Am I missing something? The whole steering box is damp with oil so it's not like it rusted shut. Maybe I just need to try again with a bigger hammer.
None of those adjustments will remove slop from your steering. They just make the truck more dangerous, since it won't return to center correctly. You need to replace the power steering box. People here seem to like Red Head, but they are WAY too expensive. I replaced mine with a Blue Top, and couldn't be happier. It is about half the cost of the Red Head, with the same quality. Forget auto parts store units. They are total crap, and life is too short for chinese remanufactured power steering units.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:50 PM
Everett45
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard numerous reports of said adjustments helping, so long as you don't make the steering too tight. Secondly, the new boxes seem extremely hit or miss no matter the brand. People say their Redhead lasted only 10k, or their Blue Top is going 5k strong, or their Blue Top was loose out of the box. Thirdly, Blue Top's website doesn't even list a box for my truck. All they've got are 80-93 which are sold out, and 03-08.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:08 PM
99DR
Rookie

Originally Posted by Everett45
I've heard numerous reports of said adjustments helping, so long as you don't make the steering too tight. Secondly, the new boxes seem extremely hit or miss no matter the brand. People say their Redhead lasted only 10k, or their Blue Top is going 5k strong, or their Blue Top was loose out of the box. Thirdly, Blue Top's website doesn't even list a box for my truck. All they've got are 80-93 which are sold out, and 03-08.
People can say what they want. There is no way to adjust slop out of a power steering box. Look at the design of the unit, and see for yourself. I see that Blue Top seems to have stopped Gen 2 boxes. That's too bad. I've had mine on for maybe 30,000 miles now, and it's still perfect.

Last edited by 99DR; 03-27-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:52 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the preload and high point adjustment can be done but its not worth the labour time for shops to do this. I prefer to go new and only have to align the vehicle once.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:25 PM
TerryAnn

Hey I was having issues with the steering on my 2001 RAM 1500 st 5.2l also. I had the box changed and did very little to improve slop in steering. Tie rods ball joints etc... all good. After looking around the only fix I can see now is the bushing replacement on column. Replacing steering shaft with new not option as cannot seem to find one anywhere for it. Suggestions ?

Last edited by TerryAnn; 04-30-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:07 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

how are you check the steering linkage? the best way is to do a dry park check with all the vehicle weight on the suspension...not jacked up. if its done in the air... for cross link or parallel linkage...its easy to miss play

Old 04-29-2019, 09:12 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

I've adjusted the preload on my factory steering box in the past and it worked well for me for awhile. It certainly made an improvement to the steering and drive-ability, but I wanted the truck to handle like new after rebuilding the front end, so I eventually replaced it with a Borgeson steering box (which is no longer made for the 2nd gen trucks). I've been very happy with the Borgeson steering box to-date. The preload adjustment is touchy and you don't want to tighten the screw in too tight. If so, the steering will likely bind and not center properly. As far as I'm aware, the preload adjustment is the only adjustment you can really make on the factory steering gearboxes. That adjustment also helps the life of the output shaft seal, since the preload adjustment helps to keep the output shaft from deflecting side to side.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

There is actually two adjustments you can do on the box, the other one is on the shaft coming in from the column. Loosen the large locking ring, turn the plug in until it seats (special tool required......) Mark it relative to the case, then back the mark off a half inch, reinstall the locking ring. You *can* do it on the truck, but, it's a LOT easier to do it on the bench.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:32 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There is actually two adjustments you can do on the box, the other one is on the shaft coming in from the column. Loosen the large locking ring, turn the plug in until it seats (special tool required......) Mark it relative to the case, then back the mark off a half inch, reinstall the locking ring. You *can* do it on the truck, but, it's a LOT easier to do it on the bench.
Interesting. Learn something new everyday. What does this adjustment help with?

Quick Reply: Steering Adjustment