2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spare tire winch

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:31 AM
Pepsiboy
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally got it taken apart. WOW ! ! ! What a mess of dried out and hardened grease. I have the parts soaking in mineral spirits so I can clean it up in a couple days. It looks like I can install new cable and attach it to the bracket that goes in the spare tire hub. Finding that metric cable is NOT fun. I'll probably just use a standard 1/8" or 5/32" cable available at my local hardware store. This is going to be quite the project, as the only replacements I have been able to find at salvage yards are either rusted tight or also have the cable broken. Getting a new one from Dodge is off the page. It is considered "Discontinued Part" and no longer available. Dealer said that it MIGHT be available from other dealer stock, but would take a lot of time to locate and would be about $125.00 plus shipping according to his price book. That is NOT going to happen.

I'll post again as I try to get this repaired.

Dave

Old 05-02-2019, 05:25 PM
Pepsiboy
Amateur

I got it cleaned up and MOSTLY back together. Just need to clean the rust off the adapter that goes into the spare tire hub for lifting. It sure was caked on and hard to get off, even soaking for 2 days in paint thinner. I added a grease zirk to help keep it lubricated, and got most of the new cable wound up inside it.

More later.

Dave

Old 05-02-2019, 05:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Paint thinner really doesn't do much for rust...... Apple cider vinegar actually works better.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:53 PM
imgoof
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave you can get spare tire hoist on amazon for about 97.63 an up

Old 05-03-2019, 06:28 AM
Pepsiboy
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Paint thinner really doesn't do much for rust...... Apple cider vinegar actually works better.
Rust was not the problem. It was the dried up hard grease on th inside. Paint thinner took care of it, even though it took several days of soaking.

Dave

Old 05-03-2019, 06:30 AM
Pepsiboy
Amateur

Originally Posted by imgoof
Dave you can get spare tire hoist on amazon for about 97.63 an up
$97.63 is WAY oputside my budget. I have to survive on $650 a month Social Security.

Dave

Old 05-03-2019, 08:53 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Pepsiboy
$97.63 is WAY oputside my budget. I have to survive on $650 a month Social Security.

Dave
As I says Dave I would have been now then happy to mail you one

Old 05-04-2019, 10:11 AM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just realized that the one from my van is the same... and I'm removing it to relocate the spare and install a second fuel tank where the spare tire was. I'll be working on it later today and assuming the "winch" is in good shape (I know it's worked fine), i'd be glad to stick it in a box and send it to you... Just send me a message and let me know...

Old 05-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Pepsiboy
Amateur

Originally Posted by wca_tim
I just realized that the one from my van is the same... and I'm removing it to relocate the spare and install a second fuel tank where the spare tire was. I'll be working on it later today and assuming the "winch" is in good shape (I know it's worked fine), i'd be glad to stick it in a box and send it to you... Just send me a message and let me know...
Tim,

I tried to send you a P/M with a picture of one like mine, but I can't figure out how to attach a picture there.

If it looks like this one, it will fit. Please let me know.

Thanks, in advance, for the offer.

Dave

P.S. Trying to be helpful to you, it take a 13mm bo wrench to get it off. 4 bolts.

Quick Reply: Spare tire winch