Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

2001 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 off road edition,exact factory lift specs?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 off road edition,exact factory lift specs?

Old 04-14-2019, 10:15 AM
Doug Jacobs
Default 2001 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 off road edition,exact factory lift specs?

Hello everyone! Recently aquired a 2001 Dodge ram 1500. 4x4, 5.9 liter gasser,off road edition, only available on 00-01 Rams, all the research I have done I have found misleading info on the factory lift, manufacturer spec says 2 inch lift, and I have read multiple threads from many sites, that says it varies from 1.5- 3 inch lift, since they are lifted with a heavier spring, both front and rear depends on how worn out they are/ sagging leafs or loss of tension in front springs over now almost 20 years old, any way to measure what exactly it has? The moral of the story is I want to put a 2 inch level kit in front to get rid of the rake, and Don't know if I need to replace front control arms or not, some say they can handle up to three inches without having to be upgraded to longer arms? Any info would be great

Old 04-14-2019, 10:18 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

You can only lift the 'regular' trucks about 3" before you have to start dealing with things like control arms, and track bars. On the ORE trucks, they are already lifted 2" over the 'normal' trucks, so, that leaves you only 1 inch to play with, before other stuff needs to happen.

The ORE trucks are the Holy Grail of second gens. (at least, in the half-ton trucks.) Already comes with a 2" lift, 4.10 gears, and larger tires, not to mention trussed axles.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:40 AM
Doug Jacobs

I got it as a hand me down from my brother, he had it since it was new, everything on it oe equipment, big red shocks with the chrysler stamp, stabilzer shock, I mean everything! Pretty much a virgin truck, I've been through the entire truck, resealed engine,trans, front diff, rear diff, had drivelines done, Bilstein shocks all the way around, including stabilizer, truck drives like a dream just has quite a bit of wander,
now on to the notorious track bar and steering box play,has anyone had any experience with the spohn products, like track bar relocation braket with adjustable track bar, and the longer front control arms?

Old 04-14-2019, 10:45 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Spohn used to have a really good rep, not so much of late..... Of course, my experience with them is on the third gen F-bodys (camaro/firebird) not trucks..... so, take that with a grain of salt.

Lots of companies make replacement parts.... Going to the third-gen Ram-style trackbar is a good plan. (bushings on both ends, not a ball joint.) That eliminates one of the worst parts of the front suspension. Also, don't bother with the 'reman' steering boxes. They are pretty hit and miss..... Redhead, or Borgeson does a MUCH better job of rebuilding them. Bluetop is another name that has recently come up..... but, rumor has it, their stock of second gen steering boxes is rather random. They may have 'em, they may not.....

Old 04-14-2019, 10:48 AM
Doug Jacobs

So basically if I ad a two inch leveling kit in front I have to look at front control arms that will work with a 4 inch lift as well as drop pitman, anything else that I might need ?

Old 04-14-2019, 10:53 AM
MoparFanatic21
Champion

Originally Posted by Doug Jacobs View Post
So basically if I ad a two inch leveling kit in front I have to look at front control arms that will work with a 4 inch lift as well as drop pitman, anything else that I might need ?
Track bar relocation bracket or adjustable track bar, longer shocks

Old 04-14-2019, 11:16 AM
Doug Jacobs

Is there multiple stiles of relocation brackets,one that works for the non adjustable bar, and one for the adjustable, or is it same bracket, and it's your preference to use adjustable or non adjustable?

Old 04-14-2019, 11:18 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Same bracket. Just the bar is different. Using the adjustable bar, you can make sure your axle is centered under the truck. The non-adjustable fellers don't have that advantage, and if you are lifting it, and making other changes to the suspension, I think adjustable is definitely the way to go. (granted, it's also more expensive......)

If you are going to go to the trouble, do the third-gen upgrade. You'll thank yourself later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 off road edition,exact factory lift specs?

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: