2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overheating after new pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 10:37 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Try burping it again. Radiator cap off, let the thermostat cycle a couple times. See what happens.
He says when he takes it off coolant shoots 2 feet into the air. Maybe a bad head gasket?

Old 04-15-2019, 02:38 AM
Chunx89
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
He says when he takes it off coolant shoots 2 feet into the air. Maybe a bad head gasket?
Unless my luck is crap, this truck ran perfect before doing this job. The only reason why I bought a new pump is the bearings were bad and making my fan out of balance. The truck always held at a 180 never moved at all. I think what is happening is the coolant is getting so hot in the radiator that it’s creating so much pressure and making it shoot out. Unless my head gaskets really took a crap while sitting for a day!

After getting the new t stat nothing changes, although it took about 20 minutes for it to go from 190 to 200. Then I put the cap back on and about 15 minutes later it slowly went to 210, then I shut it down. Tomorrow I’m gonna park the truck at the end of my driveway which has a incline AND jack it up, I still here my heater core gurgling with air in it when I get the gas. Possible pump is maybe no good? Isn’t the radiator suppose to stay cool to the touch? Mine gets so hot it will take your skin off

Old 04-15-2019, 02:40 AM
Chunx89
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Also if I put cap on and it starts running hot, I’m able to take cap right back off without letting truck cool down or anything. This has to be a air issue..

Old 04-15-2019, 09:57 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunx89
Also if I put cap on and it starts running hot, I’m able to take cap right back off without letting truck cool down or anything. This has to be a air issue..
I agree with you. The only other way I know is disconnect a heater core hose, dumb coolant down it to fill thew core. Then do the same for the block

Old 04-15-2019, 10:44 AM
Chunx89
Professional

https://imgur.com/gallery/gIOpP7o

here’s a video, truck is holding at tstat temp but coolant in radiator still not going down. Starting to boil inside radiator

Old 04-15-2019, 10:51 AM
Chunx89
Professional

https://imgur.com/a/2OpzmsJ

temp slowly climbing to 210 now

https://imgur.com/a/Q1Lo8kk

shortly after this video I went inside the truck and hit the gas a little, then after i let off it started shooting 3 feet into the air again

https://imgur.com/a/P2Xyj03

brand new setup, shouldn’t have any play like this correct? I am aiming towards this new pump being faulty

Last edited by Chunx89; 04-15-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Wonder if the pump is rotating in the wrong direction? Think I would verify the part number is correct, and that belt routing is also correct.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:50 AM
Chunx89
Professional

Wonder if the pump is rotating in the wrong direction? Think I would verify the part number is correct, and that belt routing is also correct.
i double checked the belt routing, i am going to take the pump off and look at the propellers. Is there another way to check instead of pulling pump off?

Old 04-15-2019, 12:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Take the thermostat out, disconnect the upper radiator hose. (at the radiator, when engine is COLD) run the engine. Should see coolant come out the upper hose. If you don't, and it is coming out the upper radiator connection instead.... its turning the wrong way.

Messy, but, it works. Keep in mind, coolant is VERY bad for animals..... so, clean up your mess. I usually use the garden hose to wash it all down/away.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:18 PM
Chunx89
Professional

Take the thermostat out, disconnect the upper radiator hose. (at the radiator, when engine is COLD) run the engine. Should see coolant come out the upper hose. If you don't, and it is coming out the upper radiator connection instead.... its turning the wrong way.

Messy, but, it works. Keep in mind, coolant is VERY bad for animals..... so, clean up your mess. I usually use the garden hose to wash it all down/away.
I took it out already, and the propellers are the same as the old one. I already took it back and got a new one, when i removed it no water came out of the pump, I didn’t have to drain any coolant at all.

Quick Reply: Overheating after new pump