2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overheating after new pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 06:08 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

is there coolant in the overflow tank for the engine to suck up? i have never had an issue with getting air out of the system as long as the overflow tank was full. i have also watched engines chug back coolant from the overflow as you add it when the engine is hot but low on coolant

Old 04-16-2019, 06:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
When it rains it pours :b make sure to turn the heater on while burping it
Doesn't matter. The temp **** only controls a door in the heater box. The heater core is a constant flow system, so it doesn't matter if you have the a/c on full blast, there is still coolant circulating thru the heater core. The air just doesn't go thru it.

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
is there coolant in the overflow tank for the engine to suck up? i have never had an issue with getting air out of the system as long as the overflow tank was full. i have also watched engines chug back coolant from the overflow as you add it when the engine is hot but low on coolant
The radiator can only suck out of the overflow tank if the system is closed up. If the radiator cap is off, it will never draw coolant from the overflow.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:58 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Doesn't matter. The temp **** only controls a door in the heater box. The heater core is a constant flow system, so it doesn't matter if you have the a/c on full blast, there is still coolant circulating thru the heater core. The air just doesn't go thru it.

The radiator can only suck out of the overflow tank if the system is closed up. If the radiator cap is off, it will never draw coolant from the overflow.
My mistake

Old 04-16-2019, 08:25 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
i know but i would also assume he has to be putting it back on at some point if he is driving around the neighborhood. plus i don't think i saw anyone ask that question. i know my moms old car was a pain to get air out of he cooling system but it pretty much did it by itself using the overflow and enough running it up to temp and then letting it sit and cool but there was no rad cap on it that would allow me to pour coolant directly into the cooling system.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

i know but i would also assume he has to be putting it back on at some point if he is driving around the neighborhood. plus i don't think i saw anyone ask that question. i know my moms old car was a pain to get air out of he cooling system but it pretty much did it by itself using the overflow and enough running it up to temp and then letting it sit and cool but there was no rad cap on it that would allow me to pour coolant directly into the cooling system.
I am not sure I have EVER ran into a vehicle that is more of a pain to get all the air out of the system, than a 2nd gen dodge truck. Heck, even the old Corvettes weren't this bad, and in those, the radiator fill was BELOW the top of the engine.......

Old 04-16-2019, 11:19 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i have never had an issue getting air out of the system and i really don't see what would be different about a 2nd gen that would make it harder to get air out of the system than any other vehicle. never had an issue getting the air out of my 93 and it has the same engine/setup as the 2nd gens.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:59 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have never had any issue getting the air out of a cooling system as well. The last one I did was my Step-Son's 2003 Buick Regal. Replaced all the hoses and water pump then flushed the coolant from the block, radiator and heater core. Put everything back together and filled it. Started the engine, opened the radiator cap, and kept filling it up until I got all the air purged from the vehicle. He's a question though, for the 2nd gen Ram, what's the mixture on the coolant supposed to be, and what are you using? I've seen people try to run straight coolant before without a say 50/50 mix and it won't cool right.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:28 AM
Chunx89
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve always used 50/50 but with this problem I’ve been re filling with water. Could this be the problem lol I was always under the assumption only a little antifreeze and mostly water(I’m in south Florida) never gets freezing temps

ive also never had issues either burping a system, mechanics at my job said these trucks are a PITA also to do it.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

i have never had an issue getting air out of the system and i really don't see what would be different about a 2nd gen that would make it harder to get air out of the system than any other vehicle. never had an issue getting the air out of my 93 and it has the same engine/setup as the 2nd gens.
Originally Posted by ZEN357
I have never had any issue getting the air out of a cooling system as well. The last one I did was my Step-Son's 2003 Buick Regal. Replaced all the hoses and water pump then flushed the coolant from the block, radiator and heater core. Put everything back together and filled it. Started the engine, opened the radiator cap, and kept filling it up until I got all the air purged from the vehicle. He's a question though, for the 2nd gen Ram, what's the mixture on the coolant supposed to be, and what are you using? I've seen people try to run straight coolant before without a say 50/50 mix and it won't cool right.
Heater core anyone?

Old 04-17-2019, 11:22 AM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Neat to know about the constant flow through the heater core.

Last edited by PR1AWRet; 04-17-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Overheating after new pump