Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

Overheating after new pump

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overheating after new pump

Old 04-15-2019, 01:56 PM
ZEN357
Veteran

Sounds to me like it's a bad pump right from the get go.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:04 PM
Chunx89
Rookie

Replaced it with he new pump and this is what Iím getting after trying to burp it for 30 minutes

https://imgur.com/a/SA2y4Xe

tomorrow after work Iím going to take the thermostat out and fill the block up all the way. I already took the stat out and drilled the hole in it. So this is what I have going on so far.

replaced pump with clutch
radiator gets so hot it can melt your skin
after burning for awhile the water looks like it starts to boil
after it looks like itís ďboilingĒ as soon as I turn the truck off the thermostat shoots water 2 feet in the air. During all of this my truck is only running at 200-205. It only runs hotter if I put the radiator cap back on

Old 04-15-2019, 04:14 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

The only time I have seen that kind of problem, is when there was a blown head gasket......

Old 04-15-2019, 04:29 PM
MoparFanatic21
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
The only time I have seen that kind of problem, is when there was a blown head gasket......
CALLED IT! sorry OP

Old 04-15-2019, 07:59 PM
AtomicDog
Record Breaker

Sounds like you may have run that old pump too long and caused some engine damage. If the cooling system is full of coolant, you can connect a coolant pressure tester onto the radiator opening. If pressure is building on the gauge of the tester quickly, its highly likely that you have a blown head gasket.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 AM
99DR
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Yup! If it's bubbling at 200 degrees, time to confirm the head gaskets...

Old 04-16-2019, 11:46 AM
PR1AWRet
Professional

I always turn the heat on when burping so it gets the air out of the heater core. I also rev the engine a bit. This sounds like a head gasket, I'd do a compression test on all the cylinders and record the numbers. I'd do a pressure test too on the cooling system. AZ/O'Reileys have the tester to rent, to get a complete picture of the cooling system and what needs repaired.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:15 PM
Chunx89
Rookie

I did a block test on it today, and the dye stayed blue.

i tried it with the engine cold, warm, then also when it was running hot. I also tried it with the engine at 2k rpms. The engine oil is clean, nothing on dipstick and this thing never showed signs before that it could be a head gasket.

Im stumped with this one, STUMPED. Iím gonna fill the block with coolant today hopefully and see if that works. The truck still runs great if I take it around the neighborhood before it gets hot.

Propellers for water pump are in right direction, the fan belt is routed the correct way and the fan is blowing towards engine. Iím heading towards my tensioner being no good, itís always made a little noise but with the old pump that was worn out Iím thinking it was powerful enough to spin a old water pump but maybe canít keep up with a new pump.

Last edited by Chunx89; 04-16-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:48 PM
Chunx89
Rookie

Today I finally got the coolant to suck down finally. It was stuck at 200 then I walked around the truck to look at coolant and it sucked all the coolant down, unfortunately sucking more air in too. So Iím getting somewhere, itís doing it again but itís definitly showing signs of air in system.

Also my tensioner is screaming all of a sudden, and my AC compressor took a dump on me today. Clutch blew up, what a past couple of days

Old 04-16-2019, 06:07 PM
MoparFanatic21
Champion

Originally Posted by Chunx89 View Post
Today I finally got the coolant to suck down finally. It was stuck at 200 then I walked around the truck to look at coolant and it sucked all the coolant down, unfortunately sucking more air in too. So Iím getting somewhere, itís doing it again but itís definitly showing signs of air in system.

Also my tensioner is screaming all of a sudden, and my AC compressor took a dump on me today. Clutch blew up, what a past couple of days
When it rains it pours :b make sure to turn the heater on while burping it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheating after new pump

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: