2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check engine light rough idle at start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 01:49 AM
clayznation6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light rough idle at start.

I’ve been reading through these forums for years and just now created an account. I love my Dodge truck and really enjoy working on it. But I’m no mechanic by no means.
I have had some issues with the CEL coming on and having a hard time keeping it running at first start. The light stays on all the time and it runs fine after a good warm up. But I have to keep peddling it until then. Trucks got 208k on it. I’ve apready been through a rear end swap, a 46re rebuild , and front end issues that I’m still trying to get a grip on. This truck is my daily driver with a 5.2l 318 2wd extended cab. I have done all the work myself from YouTube videos and these forums. Any help is much appreciated. I could take it to the shop but that’s no fun. Thanks y’all.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:19 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 100 Likes on 95 Posts

First step is to retrieve the error codes. Your profile says it's a 98 so try this: Start with the ignition off, then do on-off-on-off-on (ignition only, don't crank) and the odometer display shows a sequence of P codes followed by "done".

Old 04-26-2019, 03:22 AM
clayznation6

So no diagnostic tool needed huh? I’ve been a little reluctant to take it to autozone. Thanks for the info. I will try that.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:42 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Your profile says it's a 98 so try this: Start with the ignition off, then do on-off-on-off-on
Key dance is supposed to only work up to 97.
http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

Old 04-26-2019, 07:41 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

You can buy a code reader for less that $20 these days. Best tool you can own. Then you don't have to guess.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Not to mention most auto parts stores will read codes for free.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:26 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 100 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Key dance is supposed to only work up to 97.
http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm
The link refers to the pre-CCD bus systems. It does work on my 2001 2500, also on my 2003 Wrangler and a 2007 Grand Cherokee.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:54 AM
clayznation6
Default Still nothing.

Hey guys sorry it’s been a while. I work comm. HVAC and our hours are crazy. I tried the key test with no avail and I took it to autozone and they ran a diagnostic. Code P0505 Idle Air Control System. I tried cleaning the IAC and still no different. I can purchase a new one and try to reset the code. But I’m afraid I have a plenum problem. I’m loosing coolant and also have brown dirt like substance in my radiator. I need some pointers on flushing the coolant system and how to properly refill. I just purchased a complete ‘00’ model this weekend for a parts truck. It has a 5.9l in it but damn near the same truck. Thanks guys.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by clayznation6
Hey guys sorry it’s been a while. I work comm. HVAC and our hours are crazy. I tried the key test with no avail and I took it to autozone and they ran a diagnostic. Code P0505 Idle Air Control System. I tried cleaning the IAC and still no different. I can purchase a new one and try to reset the code. But I’m afraid I have a plenum problem. I’m loosing coolant and also have brown dirt like substance in my radiator. I need some pointers on flushing the coolant system and how to properly refill. I just purchased a complete ‘00’ model this weekend for a parts truck. It has a 5.9l in it but damn near the same truck. Thanks guys.
What year is your other truck?

P0505 won't have anything to do with the plenum. That's the computer telling you there is a problem with the IAC control circuits. (it is commanding a change, and not seeing it.) With the engine at idle, unplug the IAC, test all four wires for voltage. You should see 12 volts on TWO wires. if you don't, it's possible the PCM has taken a dump.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:32 AM
clayznation6

2000 with the 5.9l. Is that going to have the same PCM?

Quick Reply: Check engine light rough idle at start.