2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

U Bolt Flip Kit reccomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 10:30 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Well I haven't had time to get this truck back on the lift but I'm obviously striving to increase load capacity (ignoring the fact the rear end is still a 9.25)

I added 2 leafs to the rear pack, one from a first-gen Taco and one from a GM something. I also swapped the lower overload from the factory Dodge to the overload from the Taco spring packs. Toy installs these lower overloads with a negative arch -- I opted to flip it for a slight positive arch.

Anyway, here's a couple shots of how I modify leaf packs. Doesn't mean it's the right way, it's just my way.....and according to SWMBO, my way is never the right way

Rounding the hex head of 3/8" Gr8 bolts for longer center pins

I simply cut the clamps, run them vertically and weld. Old rockcrawler trick to allow the leafs to fan at droop...not that this truck will be flexy or doing any 'crawling....

Old 05-26-2021, 11:26 AM
aresf11
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what @HeyYou was saying is that for that upper/overload leaf to do anything, you'll need frame-mounted stops for it to bump into when you're heavily loaded. Otherwise, it's just along for the ride. Interestingly, I'm pretty sure I see some on your orange hoist in the background. Install those and you'll be set.

As you can see from the rubbing, the ones on my truck definitely see some use:

Old 05-26-2021, 01:13 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by aresf11
I think what @HeyYou was saying is that for that upper/overload leaf to do anything, you'll need frame-mounted stops for it to bump into when you're heavily loaded. Otherwise, it's just along for the ride. Interestingly, I'm pretty sure I see some on your orange hoist in the background. Install those and you'll be set.

As you can see from the rubbing, the ones on my truck definitely see some use:

Everyone is putting the cart before the horse. We would hope I know the upper brackets are required, and yep, they're on the gantry there. But I had to get the upper leaf in position before determining placement of the brackets. The 1/2T frame isn't drilled for them so there's no template.

I'm getting there, just need more hours in the day.

I'll get close-ups of the brackets I got, they are HEAVILY used to where the rubber is GONE where the leaf contacted. But it was the best I could find affordably....

Old 06-12-2021, 08:30 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

As I slowly work my way through my list of 1,262,759 things to do, I finally finished this as much as it's gonna be for now.

I'm honestly not sure the upper overloads will ever be engaged with this configuration, which is really just a function of trying to adapt parts where they were never intended AND not having exactly the right parts, ie I'd prefer an actual upper overload spring, not a spring pirated from a GM rear pack that had a relatively heavy arch.

Anyway, this is V1.0 AFAIC and I may tweak it later. I also added 2 leafs to the main pack and the lower overload is now stupid thick (Toyota Taco, as mentioned previously).

In the interest of time I just tapped the frame 3/8-24 for the upper brackets. It's not lost on me that the frame is relatively thin but I don't think the brackets will ever see enough load to stress (3) 3/8-24 bolts ea. The provided backing plates which came with my heavily worn brackets were rusted compliments of WI (pro tip: don't buy used parts from WI!!), plus access to where I needed to be was obstructed inside the framerail on certain holes. Pro tip #2: don't let your twist bit thread itself into your new holes and nearly drill into your poly gas tank.

Now THESE are some heavily worn upper overload brackets. Note where on one the spring was actually grooving THE METAL (gloved finger indicates).

Fear not, once the main pack flattens a bit from the weight of the vehicle the separation at the ends of the upper overload increases. Still, I'm not sure the upper spring will ever see any action. I'll try to get pics with a full tank of water.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

How about adding some brackets to the ends of the overload spring, that wrap the main spring? Something like these?

Old 06-16-2021, 10:43 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

So I had initially given this project a grade of C but with 425 gallons of water in the bed the overloads do just engage at a standstill, meaning they're helping somewhat while driving with a load.

Thus I hereby amend the grade to A-

Unloaded after spring work. 2 leafs added to main pack, lower overload upgraded and upper overload added.

425 gallons water

Front, upper overload

Rear, upper overload

Old 06-17-2021, 01:14 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That looks heavy. Nice looking truck!

Old 06-17-2021, 01:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugly1
That looks heavy. Nice looking truck!
A bit over 3500 pounds..... and that's JUST the water.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:10 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
A bit over 3500 pounds..... and that's JUST the water.
Yep, unknown how long the 9.25 will last but we'll see! It's already got 224k miles on it before I did this, so that's not ideal LOL

Truthfully the way we use this (VERY locally) mis-matched bolt patterns would be fine so if the 9.25 craters I might just drop a 60/70 in the rear only and source two 8-lug wheels

Quick Reply: U Bolt Flip Kit reccomendations?