Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

Anyone Have Experience With Marty Fletcher's Tuning or Camshafts?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone Have Experience With Marty Fletcher's Tuning or Camshafts?

Old 05-15-2019, 02:40 PM
Skeptic68W
Professional
Default Anyone Have Experience With Marty Fletcher's Tuning or Camshafts?

I'm considering purchasing a UTP 450 camshaft and Custom SCT tune from Marty Fletcher of Utawesome Performance http://utawesomeperformance.com/index.html He's quite a bit cheaper than Hemifever, and has developed that camshaft specifically for the Magnum engines in a full size truck application.

He's very active in the dodge 5.2/5.9 performance facebook group, but I can't find any references to his work on the forums. Is anyone running this camshaft or his tunes? What have been your experiences?

Old 05-15-2019, 05:06 PM
MoparFanatic21
Champion

Originally Posted by Skeptic68W View Post
I'm considering purchasing a UTP 450 camshaft and Custom SCT tune from Marty Fletcher of Utawesome Performance http://utawesomeperformance.com/index.html He's quite a bit cheaper than Hemifever, and has developed that camshaft specifically for the Magnum engines in a full size truck application.

He's very active in the dodge 5.2/5.9 performance facebook group, but I can't find any references to his work on the forums. Is anyone running this camshaft or his tunes? What have been your experiences?
I *THINK* he has a bad rep bur I'm not sure if it's him or another one. HeyYou should know.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:07 PM
Skeptic68W
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 View Post
I *THINK* he has a bad rep bur I'm not sure if it's him or another one. HeyYou should know.
Haha, sometimes I think this forum should be renamed "Ask HeyYou"

Old 05-15-2019, 05:25 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 View Post

LOLOL. You guys crack me up.

Marty used to work for KRC performance, a company that is now defunct...... Apparently, he did some good work there, and I am not finding anything negative about him, of course, the only positive stuff I am finding is from way back when.... Hopefully, DaPepper will drift in, and have something to say, from what I am reading, he is familiar with him..... Don't know about recently.......

Another option would be to find a cam with similar specs elsewhere, and have a chat with flyin' ryan, or hemifever...... Both known quantities, and known to be good. I don't think Ryan does custom tunes via email any more though..... Check out his site, see what ya think.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:34 PM
Skeptic68W
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
LOLOL. You guys crack me up.

Marty used to work for KRC performance, a company that is now defunct...... Apparently, he did some good work there, and I am not finding anything negative about him, of course, the only positive stuff I am finding is from way back when.... Hopefully, DaPepper will drift in, and have something to say, from what I am reading, he is familiar with him..... Don't know about recently.......

Another option would be to find a cam with similar specs elsewhere, and have a chat with flyin' ryan, or hemifever...... Both known quantities, and known to be good. I don't think Ryan does custom tunes via email any more though..... Check out his site, see what ya think.
Well you always weigh in, and usually have something very helpful to say. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it.

I don't know much about Flyin' Ryan, but he must think well of Marty because they're partnering with each other on something. I can't recall what, but I saw it recently.

The reason not to go elsewhere for a cam is that apparently Marty has spec'd this cam to be the best performance you can get without changing to heavier springs. You can run it with 100% stock valvetrain. It's not the sort of gains you'd see with a more aggressive bumpstick but sounds about perfect for my application. He's saying the following:

http://utawesomeperformance.com/stor..._Camshaft.html
Dyno proven cam design for stock valve train- maximum torque from the factory 360.
Requires a custom SCT tune and timing chain only. Utilizes stock valvesprings, retainers, pushrods, heads, stock block, stock Beer Keg intake manifold. 10-11 inches of manifold vacuum, 120-130 psi at 9 to 1 compression, taking your stock 345 tq 360 to well above 425+ tq. Worn out timing chains with any slop cannot be used. You need to replace it when you install. 2000-5000rpm range and radical choppy idle. Cannot be used on the non dished 318 factory pistons. Clearances must still be checked if the heads or block have been decked or changed.
We offer an excellent Beehive valve spring and lighter retainer upgrade which will release 600 more rpm usable power. Install this cam straight up, do not advance with a multiple keyway timing set. Will idle at 550 to 1000 easily as needed.

Mustang dyno of a stock 360ci in a lifted 4x4 Ram on 37's was 211hp 295tq, after install 254hp 348tq. That is a solid 40hp and 50ft lbs from only a camshaft install on your stock 360 magnum.
Advertised Duration 273 intake/273 exhaust single pattern high torque
Duration @0.050 215 intake/215 exhaust
Lobe Separation 108 LSA
Lift Intake and Exhaust 0.284" (0.455" with 1.6 roller ratio)
54 Degrees overlap

According to his tech blog, the story with the above ram that made 254/348 at the wheels is that it had 95k miles. Only mods shorty headers and a K&N Intake (both of which were on for baseline and post-cam swap dyno), and that the dyno was done at 5000ft above sea level. If that's true, it's quite impressive. I also recall mustang dynos being more stingy than dynojets.

Last edited by Skeptic68W; 05-15-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:55 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Well you always weigh in, and usually have something very helpful to say. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it.

I don't know much about Flyin' Ryan, but he must think well of Marty because they're partnering with each other on something. I can't recall what, but I saw it recently.

The reason not to go elsewhere for a cam is that apparently Marty has spec'd this cam to be the best performance you can get without changing to heavier springs. You can run it with 100% stock valvetrain. It's not the sort of gains you'd see with a more aggressive bumpstick but sounds about perfect for my application. He's saying the following:

http://utawesomeperformance.com/stor..._Camshaft.html
Dyno proven cam design for stock valve train- maximum torque from the factory 360.
Requires a custom SCT tune and timing chain only. Utilizes stock valvesprings, retainers, pushrods, heads, stock block, stock Beer Keg intake manifold. 10-11 inches of manifold vacuum, 120-130 psi at 9 to 1 compression, taking your stock 345 tq 360 to well above 425+ tq. Worn out timing chains with any slop cannot be used. You need to replace it when you install. 2000-5000rpm range and radical choppy idle. Cannot be used on the non dished 318 factory pistons. Clearances must still be checked if the heads or block have been decked or changed.
We offer an excellent Beehive valve spring and lighter retainer upgrade which will release 600 more rpm usable power. Install this cam straight up, do not advance with a multiple keyway timing set. Will idle at 550 to 1000 easily as needed.

Mustang dyno of a stock 360ci in a lifted 4x4 Ram on 37's was 211hp 295tq, after install 254hp 348tq. That is a solid 40hp and 50ft lbs from only a camshaft install on your stock 360 magnum.
Advertised Duration 273 intake/273 exhaust single pattern high torque
Duration @0.050 215 intake/215 exhaust
Lobe Separation 108 LSA
Lift Intake and Exhaust 0.284" (0.455" with 1.6 roller ratio)
54 Degrees overlap

According to his tech blog, the story with the above ram that made 254/348 at the wheels is that it had 95k miles. Only mods shorty headers and a K&N Intake (both of which were on for baseline and post-cam swap dyno), and that the dyno was done at 5000ft above sea level. If that's true, it's quite impressive. I also recall mustang dynos being more stingy than dynojets.
His dyno numbers are likely corrected......

But, 10-11 inches vacuum at idle??? Yeah, that'll give a lumpy idle...... (caused by the narrow LSA no doubt.) The 2-5K rpm kinda concerns me.. That's moving the power band up pretty significantly, and the upper end is going to be compromised by the intake, which simply isn't designed to operate up there. Would love to see a dyno chart of that cam? Is one available???

I would also love to see a comparison to some other cams that are designed for low end grunt, that aren't quite as aggressive.....

Also, gotta keep in mind, you think you have issues with vacuum operated accessories now??? With that cam, you will be lucky if they work at all. An auxiliary vacuum pump might be in order......

Edit: Ok, found the dyno charts.... Torque peak is at almost 4K RPM?????? Hhhhmmmmm........ doesn't really start building torque till almost 3K?????? That may just be the way the dyno operates.... but, not a cam I would pick for a truck motor. It isn't JUST about peak numbers, it's WHERE those numbers peak. I have rather have less than the 370 something at the wheels, at a lower rpm...... where its actually useful.

Last edited by HeyYou; 05-15-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:28 PM
potentshadow
Rookie

Lmfao.. can confirm.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:34 PM
Skeptic68W
Professional

His dyno numbers are likely corrected......

But, 10-11 inches vacuum at idle??? Yeah, that'll give a lumpy idle...... (caused by the narrow LSA no doubt.) The 2-5K rpm kinda concerns me.. That's moving the power band up pretty significantly, and the upper end is going to be compromised by the intake, which simply isn't designed to operate up there. Would love to see a dyno chart of that cam? Is one available???

I would also love to see a comparison to some other cams that are designed for low end grunt, that aren't quite as aggressive.....

Also, gotta keep in mind, you think you have issues with vacuum operated accessories now??? With that cam, you will be lucky if they work at all. An auxiliary vacuum pump might be in order......

Edit: Ok, found the dyno charts.... Torque peak is at almost 4K RPM?????? Hhhhmmmmm........ doesn't really start building torque till almost 3K?????? That may just be the way the dyno operates.... but, not a cam I would pick for a truck motor. It isn't JUST about peak numbers, it's WHERE those numbers peak. I have rather have less than the 370 something at the wheels, at a lower rpm...... where its actually useful.
What's stock vacuum on these motors?

I had many of the same concerns. I'm fine with a lumpy idle, but I'm not sure how I feel about that tight of an LSA.

Judging by the shape of the curve at the beginning of the dyno reading, that's where they are starting the run and opening up the throttle. I highly doubt it's making 150 ft-lbs at 3200rpm wide open, that just wouldn't make any sense.

I agree with you completely about being less concerned with peak numbers, but to my eyes, that cam is crushing the stock one by a huge margin every single area on the graph. Now if they did a dyno pull from idle to redline it might not be, we will never know because no-body does that. I assume they do this because the transmissions will almost always downshift when you're WOT, therefore you're never really WOT at 2000rpm. It would be really nice if dyno shops posted part throttle power outputs as well, rather than just WOT only data. Would make cam selection much more transparent and less of a guessing game. Maybe everyone has inertia dynos and can't do anything but WOT haha!

Marty also sells two less aggressive cams, one he calls an RV cam, with no dyno sheet:
Advertised Duration 258 intake and exhaust single pattern
Duration @0.050 206 intake/206 exhaust
Lobe Separation 112 LSA
Lift Intake and Exhaust 0.290" (0.464" with 1.6 roller ratio)
34 Degrees overlap

and one he calls the UTP350 which is supposed to be the UTP450 but for 318's
Advertised Duration 264 intake/264 exhaust single pattern high torque
Duration @0.050 212 intake/212 exhaust
Lobe Separation 108 LSA
Lift Intake and Exhaust 0.294" (0.470" with 1.6 roller ratio)
48 Degrees overlap

I messaged Marty on facebook asking about driveability and part-throttle performance with the UTP450 cam and his response was "Part throttle tq is much higher than stock"...not exactly a detailed answer and not boding well for my confidence.

Last edited by Skeptic68W; 05-15-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:08 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Stock vacuum is around 20"...... So, cut that in half...... I really don't consider that a 'good idea'. If all I wanted was the torque, then sure.... but, I don't need that all the time. In fact, I would RARELY need it. (I don't pull stumps real often, I usually just use a grinder.....)

The 258 cam looks better. Are there dyno charts for that one as well? You may wanna have a look at some of comp cams offerings. Particularly their RV grinds. (designed for driveability as well.) Or towing cams. Still good vacuum at idle, but, actually builds the power down low, where you want it. I am thinkin' Martys cam would REALLY like a high stall torque converter as well.

And then, of course.... gotta look at the trans. How is IT going to feel about those numbers? In it's stock form, if you actually used that power regularly, I wouldn't expect the stock 46RE (with a boatload of miles on it) to last very long......

Old 05-15-2019, 07:51 PM
Skeptic68W
Professional

Stock vacuum is around 20"...... So, cut that in half...... I really don't consider that a 'good idea'. If all I wanted was the torque, then sure.... but, I don't need that all the time. In fact, I would RARELY need it. (I don't pull stumps real often, I usually just use a grinder.....)

The 258 cam looks better. Are there dyno charts for that one as well? You may wanna have a look at some of comp cams offerings. Particularly their RV grinds. (designed for driveability as well.) Or towing cams. Still good vacuum at idle, but, actually builds the power down low, where you want it. I am thinkin' Martys cam would REALLY like a high stall torque converter as well.

And then, of course.... gotta look at the trans. How is IT going to feel about those numbers? In it's stock form, if you actually used that power regularly, I wouldn't expect the stock 46RE (with a boatload of miles on it) to last very long......
Any specific suggestions? I can't navigate comp's website to save my life.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Have Experience With Marty Fletcher's Tuning or Camshafts?

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: