2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No turning at low speeds and u jiont issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 11:08 AM
lmbarrels
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No turning at low speeds and u jiont issue

So I have a 1997 dodge 2500 cummins I bought a few months ago, Drove it home and put it right in shop to do some wiring and cosmetic work because she ran fine. Took her out and have been diving daily for about two weeks even got to tow my trailer with her, yesterday on the interstate at some point my fron diff u joint fell out, now I cannot seem to get one to fit, are they flanged on one side or some sort of clip, the yoke looks fine but the new one falls right out too.

When I am driving I have great steering, when I go to turn into a tight spot or a parking place, I have zero steering, literally hanging off steering wheel to get her to turn, if I rev it I have steering. It whines when turning, I am installing a new psp today, will that fix it.

I also put in a new heater control and still have no heater or defrost.

I am new to the 12valves though they are the beast of all beast and I bought a manual at that.

Also her idle is turned way down and I do not know whey, it makes for a hard start unless i give her pedal and she tends to stall when I start out in second, first is way too low unless towing, please help in anyway possible.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:13 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by lmbarrels
So I have a 1997 dodge 2500 cummins I bought a few months ago, Drove it home and put it right in shop to do some wiring and cosmetic work because she ran fine. Took her out and have been diving daily for about two weeks even got to tow my trailer with her, yesterday on the interstate at some point my fron diff u joint fell out, now I cannot seem to get one to fit, are they flanged on one side or some sort of clip, the yoke looks fine but the new one falls right out too.

When I am driving I have great steering, when I go to turn into a tight spot or a parking place, I have zero steering, literally hanging off steering wheel to get her to turn, if I rev it I have steering. It whines when turning, I am installing a new psp today, will that fix it.

I also put in a new heater control and still have no heater or defrost.

I am new to the 12valves though they are the beast of all beast and I bought a manual at that.

Also her idle is turned way down and I do not know whey, it makes for a hard start unless i give her pedal and she tends to stall when I start out in second, first is way too low unless towing, please help in anyway possible.
You should have two straps to go over the front driveshaft u joint.

The steering sounds like a power steering pump.

The 12V has many problems one being the Lift pump and that will cause the hard start and low idle.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:19 AM
lmbarrels
Amateur

i Have those straps, everything is brand new, it does not fit. I am thinking maybe they gave me the wrong u joint? The one on line looks like there are clips on it.

What should the idle be at my truck idols at real low

Hopefully the power steering pumps fixes that part.

Thanks

Old 05-16-2019, 11:22 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

i Have those straps, everything is brand new, it does not fit. I am thinking maybe they gave me the wrong u joint? The one on line looks like there are clips on it.

What should the idle be at my truck idols at real low

Hopefully the power steering pumps fixes that part.

Thanks
Could be I don't have the part# handy but just do a Google search.

Should be anywhere from 600 to 800 fully warm. Did you verify that the lift pump isn't bad?

Old 05-16-2019, 12:01 PM
lmbarrels
Amateur

how do I verify that is not bad? I am new to the 12v but love them they are beasts.

I used to be a 7.3 fan and could work on that all day. I am learning the dodge stuff

Old 05-16-2019, 12:46 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

how do I verify that is not bad? I am new to the 12v but love them they are beasts.

I used to be a 7.3 fan and could work on that all day. I am learning the dodge stuff
That is a matter of opinion but they are all mechanical compared to the 24V. I motor swapped from a 12V to a 360, bur back on topic. How long does it usually take to start and what is your idle at now?

Old 05-16-2019, 12:51 PM
lmbarrels
Amateur

I would have to check at where it is reading, it is just real low and they guy I bought it from said he had turned it down, why IDK

Old 05-16-2019, 12:54 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I would have to check at where it is reading, it is just real low and they guy I bought it from said he had turned it down, why IDK
If it's a 53 block that's probably why because they are known to grenade. Other then that I don't know why he would do that

Old 05-16-2019, 01:02 PM
lmbarrels
Amateur

how do you tell if its a 53 block? and they like to blow up?

Old 05-16-2019, 02:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

how do you tell if its a 53 block? and they like to blow up?
There will be a '53' cast into the side of the block. They don't blow up, per se.... the block castings were not very good, and they tend to crack just above the oil pan rail. There is also the 'killer dowel pin', google search will turn up the easy fix for that.

Quick Reply: No turning at low speeds and u jiont issue