2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer Case Cracked

  #1  
Old 06-03-2019, 10:26 PM
Jaw91097's Avatar
Jaw91097
Jaw91097 is offline
Professional
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 245
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Cracked

So, I was on my way back to Ohio from Illinois when I was about an hour out from home and I hear a loud pop from under the truck. I knew 4WD never worked on the truck, and the transfer case lever popped into N when it happened...I pulled off the highway and checked, and behold the transfer case was cracked all across the bottom. Got the truck home, leaking all the fluid out obviously. What I need to know is...is it worth fixing? I love the truck but I'm not sure if I can afford a transfer case right now. I'm debating on selling it.
What I'd also like to know is what transfer cases out of other dodges would be compatible. I haven't driven the truck since I parked it at home, is it okay to drive to and from work(five minute drive)? Can I use a gasser transfer case? Does it have to be out of a 24v specifically?
Truck is a 98.5 24v Automatic 4x4 (Obviously not 4x4 anymore lol)

Thank you!
 
  #2  
Old 06-03-2019, 10:58 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,544
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jaw91097 View Post
So, I was on my way back to Ohio from Illinois when I was about an hour out from home and I hear a loud pop from under the truck. I knew 4WD never worked on the truck, and the transfer case lever popped into N when it happened...I pulled off the highway and checked, and behold the transfer case was cracked all across the bottom. Got the truck home, leaking all the fluid out obviously. What I need to know is...is it worth fixing? I love the truck but I'm not sure if I can afford a transfer case right now. I'm debating on selling it.
What I'd also like to know is what transfer cases out of other dodges would be compatible. I haven't driven the truck since I parked it at home, is it okay to drive to and from work(five minute drive)? Can I use a gasser transfer case? Does it have to be out of a 24v specifically?
Truck is a 98.5 24v Automatic 4x4 (Obviously not 4x4 anymore lol)

Thank you!
I tried telling you man diesels are trouble, especially doing burnouts lol. And 2500 transfer case will work
 
  #3  
Old 06-03-2019, 11:08 PM
Jaw91097's Avatar
Jaw91097
Jaw91097 is offline
Professional
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 245
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 View Post
I tried telling you man diesels are trouble, especially doing burnouts lol. And 2500 transfer case will work
I believe you now for sure lol. I'd rather have a gas but all the ones around here at the time didn't seem too good. Any 2500? Even gas?
 
  #4  
Old 06-03-2019, 11:36 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,544
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jaw91097 View Post
I believe you now for sure lol. I'd rather have a gas but all the ones around here at the time didn't seem too good. Any 2500? Even gas?
I owned many Cummins and honestly they aren't worth it in my opinion. Anyhow yes any 2500 even a gasser
 

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 06-03-2019 at 11:38 PM.
  #5  
Old 06-04-2019, 07:23 AM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 57,760
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

They used two different T-cases in the heavier trucks. NV241D, and NV241DHD.... see which one you have. It's on a little round tag on the back side of the t-case. The DHD feller is a bit longer than the non-hd unit. Don't know if the driveshafts are different though.
 
  #6  
Old 06-04-2019, 10:11 AM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,544
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
They used two different T-cases in the heavier trucks. NV241D, and NV241DHD.... see which one you have. It's on a little round tag on the back side of the t-case. The DHD feller is a bit longer than the non-hd unit. Don't know if the driveshafts are different though.
Drive shafts should be the same
 
  #7  
Old 06-04-2019, 07:03 PM
Jaw91097's Avatar
Jaw91097
Jaw91097 is offline
Professional
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 245
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Am I able to drive it to work and back for like two weeks until I can afford a new transfer case? Itís a max of like 10 minutes a day
 
  #8  
Old 06-04-2019, 08:31 PM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 57,760
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

No. Not a chance. None of the parts are being lubricated. It will grenade even further, and then it will be tow truck time.
 
  #9  
Old 06-14-2019, 03:15 PM
Jaw91097's Avatar
Jaw91097
Jaw91097 is offline
Professional
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 245
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6235929464854/

Would this transfer case work? If not, how about the transfer case off of this craigslist post?

https://youngstown.craigslist.org/pt...888369781.html

Or does it have to be out of a 2500?
 

Last edited by Jaw91097; 06-14-2019 at 03:43 PM.
  #10  
Old 06-14-2019, 06:16 PM
00t444e's Avatar
00t444e
00t444e is offline
Veteran
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Southern OH
Posts: 270
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

It has to be a NP241 out of a 2500 or 3500, the 1500 uses the NP231, which isn't strong enough to handle the torque of a diesel.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transfer Case Cracked


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: