2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rebuilt 46re transmission not going into gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 04:05 PM
InkedUpBadBoy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt 46re transmission not going into gear

I have a 98 Dodge ram 1500 4 x 4 with a 46RE transmission that I just had rebuilt and I installed it myself. The problem I’m having is it’s not catching into gear or park or any drive first or second but it’s staying in neutral that I believe I’m trying to figure out where the neutral position is and how to set up the drive linkage or if there something else wrong

Old 06-22-2019, 09:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Crawl under the truck, disconnect the shift linkage, and move the lever on the trans by hand. (block the wheels first please.....) Can you feel the detents as you move the lever?

Old 10-20-2023, 12:37 PM
shzdow
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Crawl under the truck, disconnect the shift linkage, and move the lever on the trans by hand. (block the wheels first please.....) Can you feel the detents as you move the lever?

sorry to bump this, but im running into the same issue. just rebuilt everything on my 46re. installed it and triple checked everything. when started up, the collomb shift cycles through all gears but none do anything at all. the engine will stall out in reverse and drive, but the car doesnt even budge. stall out as in i shift, rpms dont wven change after i let off the brake in drive or reverse. then eventually will stall out. i checked the detents, i can feel them all

Old 10-20-2023, 01:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Probably not a trans problem. Did you leave the crank sensor in place when you r&r the trans? They tend to get busted when ya do that.....

Quick Reply: Rebuilt 46re transmission not going into gear