2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 Ram 5.9 stumbles to start but ok when warm?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 09:51 PM
Djrcarter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Ram 5.9 stumbles to start but ok when warm?

Hopefully someone can help me with this issue.
Here is the background on the truck:
95 ram 1500
2x4
5.9 mag
46rh
173,Xxx miles

Now, last week i ordered about 400$ of misc parts for the truck (slow project). I replaced the crankcase breather and the rotor and cap. When i removed the cap i decided to check the plug to see if they needed replaced. I broke a plug wire called autoxone and mine were under warranty. I took them off and 3 broke. I replaced them and made sure firing order was correct. After putting everything back i started the truck and it took me to hold the starter about 5 seconds. After i let go i hear the engine struggle to come to life. Let me note b.c. before these parts were replaced there was nothing wrong with the truck just a little PM. Before i don't think the engine would get a full rotation before snapping to life. Now it just struggles to start, has rough idle but will idle wont stall.

Now this is what's weird. If i let the truck run for a min to warm up and put in gear its fine but the second i touch that throttle it wants to stall at first but then seems like it catches up with something and away it goes. Does this for about 10 min after first start. Once its warmed up(which in Phoenix only takes 2 seconds after starting) it runs fine! I can blip the throttle and it feels stronger than ever! I can blip the throttle as much as i want with no hesitation at all. Once its its fully warmed up i can stop the truck off and start it again no issue.

I have not had a chance to check fuel pressure at the rail and being odb1 no light is on. If there was a light it would "yo! craps broken! fix it!" So not very helpful. Ill include a list if everything thats been replaced in the past 6 months. It is weird to think that before changing the cap and rotor it ran fine. So i know to check the plug wires and all were within factory ohm specs according to the factory service manual. The cap and rotor went back to the orginal after it started to run like crap and still continued to have the issues.

I am wondering if i broke a vacuum line in the back of the manifold but dont hear anything.

Any help will be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

K&N CAI

Breather cap

Break booster hose

New plugs (3923 Autolite – old speedtweaks trick)

IAC

TPS

Rotor & Cap

Plug Wires

Radiator

Water pump

Belt

Rad hoses

Termo

Coolant temp sensor’s(both)

Thermo housing

Oil pan gasket

New trans

Old 07-12-2019, 07:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Recheck your plug wires. Firing order, and routing. Might be a good idea to just take them off, and re-do that job. I have missed crossed wires before, and would have swore up and down they were right.

Might also try resetting the PCM, let it relearn the various sensors and such.

Quick Reply: 95 Ram 5.9 stumbles to start but ok when warm?