2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PCM Transmission issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 01:02 AM
Ryan Sumpter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Transmission issue?

1999 Dodge ram 1500, 5.9 V8 Automatic

Alright here is my previous post, I had a PCM Wireharness issue, I repaired the Wire harness and it resolved my No Bus and CCd issue. This issue has occurred after repair.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-buss-ccd.html

Before I resolved the PCM issue, the truck shifted fine, When the truck as in drive, it would shift normally 1-3 including overdrive. Never had a check engine light. When I fixed the PCM issue, I got a check engine light, Code, P0753 my symptoms are as follows:
When truck is 100% stopped, in drive it is VERY sluggish like its starting out in 2nd or 3rd gear? I manually shift into 1st or 2nd gear and it picks up and drives with no issues then I put it back in D (drive) it will no longer have the sluggishness and shifts fine. I can turn overdrive on/off but it does NOT engage It does show on/off on dash. From what I can tell, at highway speeds the truck does not shift into overdrive and will not downshift.

I have been following this post with no luck, I swapped the relay from Horn to trans, no luck. I checked the trans fluid, it was low, I filled transmission to proper level, reset ECM, turned truck back on, after 3-5 seconds check engine light is back on. I checked the wire harness and there are no exposed wires. I swapped out the PCM, no luck same issue. I cleaned the electrical plugs on the transmission, no luck. The truck has a repair kit for the transmission wire harness (Solenoid repair harness), to be safe It off, rewired it properly. No luck. I am not sure if this is a power issue, Possible power issue or ground issue? Again it did not do this until I repaired PCM Wire harness.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...erdrive-4.html

Old 07-12-2019, 03:15 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Sumpter
1999 Dodge ram 1500, 5.9 V8 Automatic

Alright here is my previous post, I had a PCM Wireharness issue, I repaired the Wire harness and it resolved my No Bus and CCd issue. This issue has occurred after repair.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-buss-ccd.html

Before I resolved the PCM issue, the truck shifted fine, When the truck as in drive, it would shift normally 1-3 including overdrive. Never had a check engine light. When I fixed the PCM issue, I got a check engine light, Code, P0753 my symptoms are as follows:
When truck is 100% stopped, in drive it is VERY sluggish like its starting out in 2nd or 3rd gear? I manually shift into 1st or 2nd gear and it picks up and drives with no issues then I put it back in D (drive) it will no longer have the sluggishness and shifts fine. I can turn overdrive on/off but it does NOT engage It does show on/off on dash. From what I can tell, at highway speeds the truck does not shift into overdrive and will not downshift.

I have been following this post with no luck, I swapped the relay from Horn to trans, no luck. I checked the trans fluid, it was low, I filled transmission to proper level, reset ECM, turned truck back on, after 3-5 seconds check engine light is back on. I checked the wire harness and there are no exposed wires. I swapped out the PCM, no luck same issue. I cleaned the electrical plugs on the transmission, no luck. The truck has a repair kit for the transmission wire harness (Solenoid repair harness), to be safe It off, rewired it properly. No luck. I am not sure if this is a power issue, Possible power issue or ground issue? Again it did not do this until I repaired PCM Wire harness.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...erdrive-4.html
Could be a coincidence (I don't believe in them) that a sensor went bad in the tranny

Old 07-12-2019, 07:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Shift Solenoid A is for O/D. (as that is the only shift solenoid in the trans.....) If you are also having issues with the trans shifting 1-3, then that code is likely just a symptom of some other problem. Verify you are getting 12 volts down to the trans. (engine has to be running for that.....) Also verify you are getting the 5-8 volts for the pressure sensor.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:56 AM
Ryan Sumpter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Issue has been resolved.

I checked the PCM wire harness, no exposed wires. moved down to the transmisson solenoid repair wires, used voltage meter no power, rewired. Truck shifts properly an check engine light is off, truck is running very smooth now.

Quick Reply: PCM Transmission issue?