2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bucking after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 08:08 AM
Sledder10
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Probably need a better tune to go with that cam.

Which one did you install?
http://utawesomeperformance.com/stor...ft_Towing.html

I'm planning for a tune but couldn't scrap together the funds all at once.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:13 AM
Sledder10
Professional

Or in other words, couldn't convince the wife I needed to spend more on two performance parts and a couple of maintenance items than I did for the whole truck.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Oh gee, I love their description...... First, we have:

Best with the stock beer keg manifold.

And later they say:

Works well with free flowing exhaust and intake.

Which the kegger is not......

And sure, it will "work" on non-programmable PCM's, but, they still recommend an sct tuner.......

If your truck is new enough, I would HIGHLY recommend the tuner....... Wake your motor right up. (add headers to the list of improvements, so you can justify the cost of the tuner to the wife. )

Old 07-15-2019, 02:33 PM
Sledder10
Professional

And later they say:

And sure, it will "work" on non-programmable PCM's, but, they still recommend an sct tuner.......

If your truck is new enough, I would HIGHLY recommend the tuner....... Wake your motor right up. (add headers to the list of improvements, so you can justify the cost of the tuner to the wife. )
I was looking for as much drop in (relatively speaking) as possible for my first cam swap. And glad I did because I ran into enough other issues to deal with.

I'm going to get the Tuner and see how it goes. It is running currently.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you don't already have headers, even shorties would be an improvement.

The 98 should already have the 'better' design y-pipe/cat.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:39 PM
Sledder10
Professional

If you don't already have headers, even shorties would be an improvement.

The 98 should already have the 'better' design y-pipe/cat.
Also on the list. Headers, new muffler (just for sound) Tuner and bored tb and call it good. Should do everything I need it to.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:46 PM
Sledder10
Professional

And later they say:

Do you think they were referring to intake manifold or cold air intake?

Either way I'm sticking with stock in that realm.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Cold air intake does nothing on these trucks, unless you spend a lot of time at high RPM. (where the engine isn't designed to run in any event.) The stock system already draws cold air from the passenger side fender, same place all the CAI systems get their air. The aftermarket systems may have slightly better flow numbers, but, as said, that only helps at high RPM.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:21 AM
Sledder10
Professional

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Fuel sync is overrated . It's actually a bit of a misnomer, there's only a 180 degree reluctor in the distributor which tells the PCM which set of cylinders is going to fire and which set is going through exhaust/intake cycle. All the timing for ignition and injection is derived from the crank position sensor. So you can play with turning the distributor a little and see if it gets better. There's also the quick and dirty method for setting fuel sync, shamelessly copied from the Internet:

Connect a voltmeter to the pickup plate connector by carefully back probing the connector. Connect the positive lead to the sensor output pin (pin 3, either a tan wire with a yellow tracer or a gray wire, depending on vehicle application). Connect the negative lead to battery ground.

Rotate the engine clockwise as viewed from the front, until the number one mark piston (TDC) on the vibration damper should line up with the zero degree (TDC) mark on the timing chain case cover.

Continue to rotate the engine slowly clockwise until the V8 XXXXX lines up with the zero degree (TDC) mark on the timing chain case cover. The V8 mark is 17.5°after TDC.

Make sure you don't back up and turn the crank counterclockwise if you miss your mark. If you do, back it way up and then come back clockwise. You need to keep the engine turning in normal rotation to keep timing chain slack in the correct spot, or the cam/crank relationship won't be in their natural state when you set sync.

With the distributor clamp bolt loose and the ignition switch in the ON position, rotate the distributor slightly in either direction until the voltmeter switches between the sensor transition point of 0 and 5 volts.
Adjust the distributor as close as possible to either side of this transition point and tighten the distributor clamp bolt.
Excuse my ignorance - what is the pickup plate connector?

Old 07-17-2019, 11:39 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 100 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Sledder10
Excuse my ignorance - what is the pickup plate connector?
The connector for the camshaft position sensor. The sensor sits on a round plate, I guess that's why the original author called it pickup plate connector.

Quick Reply: Bucking after rebuild