2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel injection installed running good

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 09:03 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperdave
300$!,! That was a deal!!!

I remember looking at getting one from OTC direct and it was $3500! With all the accessories

for me me if I used a Chrysler special tool more than 3 times I bought one for myself
i couldn’t stand to need a tool and have to look through the shop for 45 min and 22 mechanics to find it!!

i even had my own snap on Cummings diesel service set.

Drawback was was my tool box/cabinets were 6ft high and 12ft long, it was as big as a matco maximizer but a lot cheaper

i had the center box a snap on and two stainless 6ft high hospital cabinets one on each side hanging on top between the two cabinets was a console I made out of wood that had a Chrysler cd deck with two 6x9 speakers.

In the right cabinet I had a desktop computor with printer hooked to internet and Chrysler to get TSBs, plus’s a bar fridge

when my dealer closed down I was the last tech there and all the dealers around here were sxxt holes and didn’t have enough room for my equipment and cabinets

that was 13 years ago

viperdave
Yeah it was a deal! I was looking at a new scanner that does up to 2019 for line $800. South Main Auto uses it and he loves it. My DRB3 is useless at the moment which I hate.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:12 PM
Viperdave
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well you can scan most 96 and later just to get codes

from what I understand the Chrysler techs now use there own laptops, I don’t even think the star scanner is used on newer vehicles now

i know a trans tech at a dealer near me uses his laptop to download updates

i got outa working at dealers because I was tired of Chrysler telling me what I’m gonna get paid on and the dealers not wanting to pay crap

they just wanted a cheap parts changer

Last edited by Viperdave; 07-27-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:49 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Well you can scan most 96 and later just to get codes

from what I understand the Chrysler techs now use there own laptops, I don’t even think the star scanner is used on newer vehicles now

i know a trans tech at a dealer near me uses his laptop to download updates

i got outa working at dealers because I was tired of Chrysler telling me what I’m gonna get paid on and the dealers not wanting to pay crap

they just wanted a cheap parts changer
They have a new Wifi tool that you have to lay monthly to use. I only worked there a few years. Rushed jobs to much

Old 07-27-2019, 10:33 PM
Viperdave
Professional

Yea I hated rushing, I did one thing very well, I fixed problems nobody else could fix,I worked on cars and trucks nobody wanted to work on.

Remember the viper frame recall??.....nobody wanted to do it, it involved cutting and welding and the recall was 47 pages long!!
paid 5.5 hours if you didn’t have to repair the frame, up to 22 hours with frame repair"..........never found a cracked frame

i stopped counting after doing 30. I had them sent to me from all over the west coast Tucson,Phoenix,Vegas as far north as San Francisco and as far south as San Diego did only 3 a week cuz I had to make money doing other things I got the 5.5 down to about 3 hours but the first 3-4 took me most of a day for each

i miss the cars"............not the politics

Old 07-28-2019, 12:00 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Yea I hated rushing, I did one thing very well, I fixed problems nobody else could fix,I worked on cars and trucks nobody wanted to work on.

Remember the viper frame recall??.....nobody wanted to do it, it involved cutting and welding and the recall was 47 pages long!!
paid 5.5 hours if you didn’t have to repair the frame, up to 22 hours with frame repair"..........never found a cracked frame

i stopped counting after doing 30. I had them sent to me from all over the west coast Tucson,Phoenix,Vegas as far north as San Francisco and as far south as San Diego did only 3 a week cuz I had to make money doing other things I got the 5.5 down to about 3 hours but the first 3-4 took me most of a day for each

i miss the cars"............not the politics
I can't say I do remember that recall. I do enhance the Hemis catching the wiring on fire. I loved fixing odd problems and not just throwing parts at the vehicle. I would love to make my own garage

Old 07-29-2019, 07:41 PM
Viperdave
Professional
Default Update

Ok solved the problem and I’m not too proud to say it’s my fault injector swapping didn’t work

since this is a custom install, it has a custom dash with all autometer sport comp II gauges

i have a fuel pressure gauge installed and custom external fuel pump and regulator with return line

my gauge read 45 psi so I left it alone but I started micro adjustments till gauge read 49 psi, test drove 15 miles and bingo!!

idle adaptive memory reads;

left +0
right+0

so I guess this computer is very sensitive to fuel pressure!!

thanks for the help all!!

viperdave

Old 07-29-2019, 09:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,199 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Wow. Changing fuel pressure was it? There's one to make a note of......

Old 07-29-2019, 09:58 PM
Viperdave
Professional

Well what made me think about that was, I was reading an article about generic fuel injectors , different types and company’s that make them. It was on a site about hot rodding fuel injected cars and they said you can up the fuel pressure to get more fuel into the cylinders but it’s not recommended with stock injectors or pumps because it puts too much strain on them

then I started thinking that maybe my electronic gauge may be a few psi off so I started slowly, upped the pressure just a bit, reset the comp, and drove it on my test drive circuit, It did change the idle adaptive just a bit, so I upped the pressure just a tad more, like an 1/8 of a turn on the regulator, like 3 psi

drove it 5 times around my test drive circuit and it zeroed out!! I’ll drive it a bit more this next weekend but it looks good now!!

Quick Reply: Fuel injection installed running good