2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Issues when it rains

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 08:40 PM
John Carter
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issues when it rains

Alright have searched to find a thread that would help but couldnt find one. So I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 sport 4x4 with a 5.2l automatic transmission. For some reason when I go through water that is barely 2ft deep truck stalls out and dies. Also when it rains hard the night or morning before I go out to start my truck it has issues starting. Generally have to turn the ignition twice before it fires up. Once it starts I dont have the issue again til it rains hard. Not sure what the issue is

Old 08-29-2019, 09:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,394 Likes on 3,134 Posts

When it won't start, does the engine crank, but not fire? Or will it not crank either??

How old are your plug wires? When the engine DOES start, does it run smooth? Think I might be tempted to start it up, hood open, and mist some water around on the plug wires/coil/etc. See if you get a light show.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:36 AM
John Carter
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
When it won't start, does the engine crank, but not fire? Or will it not crank either??

How old are your plug wires? When the engine DOES start, does it run smooth? Think I might be tempted to start it up, hood open, and mist some water around on the plug wires/coil/etc. See if you get a light show.
It cranks but doesnt want to turn over. And I just had the wires replaced earlier this year after all this started happening.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:31 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

It cranks but doesnt want to turn over
Crank and turn over is the same thing. Start or fire up is what you mean. You might want to have a look at the cap & rotor.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:36 AM
John Carter
Amateur

Originally Posted by Moparite
Crank and turn over is the same thing. Start or fire up is what you mean. You might want to have a look at the cap & rotor.
What would I be looking for? Sorry I'm kinda new to all this most of the time I would need work done my uncle did it for me or was there telling me what to do.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,394 Likes on 3,134 Posts

Basically just check condition.... But, given how much fun they are to get to.... If you are going to be taking it off, might just as well replace them both.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:30 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

2 feet of water is not a good idea to drive through if you can avoid it.Axle seals are designed to keep oil in, not water out. There are a lot of electrical issues high water can cause too. The first thing I would check would be the major ground cable at the frame if there is one.Look for any green discoloration or fluffy white build up. Usually, the starter will drag because of resistance but I've seen it burn the engine to firewall straps out from higher current and then the ignition gets a bit wonky.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:36 AM
John Carter
Amateur

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
2 feet of water is not a good idea to drive through if you can avoid it.Axle seals are designed to keep oil in, not water out. There are a lot of electrical issues high water can cause too. The first thing I would check would be the major ground cable at the frame if there is one.Look for any green discoloration or fluffy white build up. Usually, the starter will drag because of resistance but I've seen it burn the engine to firewall straps out from higher current and then the ignition gets a bit wonky.
Dont aim to drive through it but where I live theres an underpass I got to go through to get home and when it rains hard it floods bad to the point where the city blocks it off and at that point I take the extra 20mins out of the way to get home

Old 08-30-2019, 03:39 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by John Carter
Dont aim to drive through it but where I live theres an underpass I got to go through to get home and when it rains hard it floods bad to the point where the city blocks it off and at that point I take the extra 20mins out of the way to get home
Don't worry about it, I drive through 5 1/2 feet of water. I would recommend putting a water seal on the axles or change the fluid out and moving the breathers higher

Old 08-30-2019, 06:36 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Don't worry about it, I drive through 5 1/2 feet of water. I would recommend putting a water seal on the axles or change the fluid out and moving the breathers higher

What year do you have and how much lift are you running. A stock, late model truck run through 5 feet of water will have major problems down the road.

Quick Reply: Issues when it rains