2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Magnum tap

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 03:26 PM
Reiffshark02
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 Magnum tap

Hello, I知 new to this forum so I hope I知 posting this in the correct spot. I have an 01 dodge1500 and it recently developed a weird tap/knock. I was driving the truck a few weeks ago and all the sudden I started hearing like a lifted tap so I pulled pulled over immediately and found I was 2.5-3 quarts low in oil and I discovered my valve cover had rusted through in the back corner and poured oil all over when u was driving. I added oil but since then I致e had this wierd tap/knock that only happens at certain times, it only happens when I知 under throttle(so if I let off the gas it goes away immediately) and normally when it is also under partial load. So if I put it in low (automatic truck) and hit the gas after I start rolling the motor taps(when it痴 not under any more load comparatively) and it also happens when I知 on the high way, every time I知 cruising without romping on it it makes the noise, but again only when I知 on the gas. So even when the torque converter is locked up and in overdrive and my rpms don稚 vary too much between under partial throttle and no throttle it will still only tap the second I give it gas. It never taps or knocks on startup up, only under those scenarios. I知 sure I hurt something when the oil went low but I知 trying to figure out weather or not to start with the top or bottom end. I came here to see if you guys think that it would be caused by either lifters, can bearing, crank bearings, or could torque converter bolts do that. I知 sorry for long winded description but I wanted to try to give you guys as much info as I know. Thanks

Old 09-13-2019, 04:55 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like it's when you're at a low RPM and relatively low oil pressure. I'd pull than oil pan and inspect the bearings. I don't know if you could get away with a new high volume oil pump. If you can afford it, new bearings and a new oil pump would be the best solution.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:32 PM
Reiffshark02

Ok I値l do that next week, I could do both of those thing if need be. I just wanted to get an opinion because I致e usually only seen rod knock where it occurred when starting and all types of reving/rpm change, not just in gear and moving under certain load.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:43 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

Unfortunately having a look is the only way to know. Could possibly be something else, but it ran low on oil so I personally would start there. I removed my pan without raising the engine, it was tight though. Think about a timing chain, if you can get away with bearings and a pump.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:07 PM
Reiffshark02

Ok so I pulled the pan and you guys where correct, the rod bearings where showing copper and the mains had some light grooves, though surprisingly I couldn稚 feel any up and down play before removing them they where pretty bad. I知 gonna replace them all of course and the pump. Unfortunately I couldn稚 not help myself from looking the the roller tips and cam (though i tried) and they池e pretty rough as well so I値l have to do them too in the near future as well as the timing chain. I知 sure you guys have seen enough bad rod bearings but if anyone痴 interested I could throw some pics up.
life lesson to everyone keep an eye on your gaskets/seals and pay attention to your tins, especially when you live in the rust belt. Thanks for your help guys.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:31 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

Your welcome. We love pictures. Post em up!

Old 09-25-2019, 07:23 PM
Reiffshark02

It took a little while after school and work took up all my time but it痴 finished and sounds perfect.

Better oil pressure than I started with thanks to that high volume pump.

Here痴 one of the journals after the old shoestring sandpaper treatment, not the prettiest but at least it doesn稚 catch a nail anymore.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:43 AM
2bit
Record Breaker

Great job! I'm glad you caught it soon enough.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:14 AM
Reiffshark02

I had one final odd question. When i removed both the oil pump bolts and only the front main cap bolts the holes/bolts gave out this terrible smell. I don稚 know how to describe it and I致e never smelled anything like it before but it made me wanna throw up. Some dark black drips of oil mixed with something alse clear (kinda like water but there was no rust) and thin dibbled out too. Does anyone have any idea what that may be, maybe a sealant or some product or just a mystery.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Probably a sealer, or thread locking compound. Neither smells particularly good.

Quick Reply: 5.9 Magnum tap